High Hemoglobin - anyone know what this means?

PaulaToronto
on 11/27/13 5:56 am - Toronto, Canada

Just had my two year blood work done and my hemoglobin is elevated above the range.  I have never had this before and wondered whether anyone knew what it could mean? 

The bariatric clinic didn't know (which drives me crazy - why isn't the doctor looking at this and giving me some guidance - oh wait - I haven't seen a doctor since the day after surgery) and since I don't have a family doctor I was wondering should I go to a walk in clinic for this?  My thyroid is very underactive and my endocrinologist has just upped my meds and I am seeing him next week for a follow up but I don't think this is an issue for him?

Anybody have any thoughts as to what can cause this? Is it related to weight loss surgery? I know you cannot give me a diagnosis but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this post surgery?

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/27/13 6:26 am - Windsor, Canada

Are you on iron supplements?  You may need to back off it a bit.  

Absolutely talk to your endo about it. 

Perhaps Leona will chime in here soon :-)

dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

PaulaToronto
on 11/27/13 6:45 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks Dawn, Yes I take two Proferrin a day but my irons levels are not high - my Ferritin level is 62 -up from 48 last year.

I emailed Leona separately too as I hoped she might have some thoughts.  I will talk to my endo about it and if he can't help I guess I go to a walk in.

Leanne1
on 11/27/13 6:26 am - Newmarket, Canada

hmmm... I would book an appt with your GP and see what he/she says. I googled it (it has alot of links BUT you really can't go by google all the time, it is not the dr) 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/13 7:15 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

My mom has high hemoglobin but hers is because she has COPD.  Her body is making more red blood cells due to the low blood oxygen.  I'd definitely see either your endo or a walk in to have further testing if needed.

shoshanaApr2013
on 11/27/13 7:33 am
Many things can cause a high hemoglobin count. One is simply dehydration, so be sure that you're getting enough water. Other causes may have to do with your heart and lung function, liver or kidney problems, or a bone marrow problem. Some medications can cause your body to increase the production of red blood cells, resulting in high hemoglobin levels.

You should really try to find a family doctor (yes, easier said than done in some places), or go to a walk-in clinic and be sure to see the same doctor each time (this may mean calling ahead to see if he/she is working that day, and spending more time in the waiting room, but the consistency of care is worth it).

It doesn't hurt to quiz the endocrinologist while you're there too.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

PaulaToronto
on 11/27/13 7:45 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks for your help.  Yes I have been trying to find a family doctor for years without success. I was rejected by many new doctors as they said I had too many medical issues and older doctors aren't accepting new patients so I was caught in a bind. Now that I have lost some of my co-morbs I have to make a concerted effort again to find a new doctor. 

I try to go to the same doc at the same walk in but it does mean waiting up to 4 hours most of the time. Even though she is accepting new patients she refuses to accept me (she only accepts those from her nationality which is wrong but if I complain then I can't see her at all and she is good) 

shoshanaApr2013
on 11/27/13 8:05 am
If I were you I would contact The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario to see if doctors have the right to refuse patients because they have too many health problems. If they don't, I would be filing a complaint on each and every one. If they do, I would be writing to my MP and the Ombudsman (patients who are refused just end up in the ER or walk-in clinics, and their medical problems get worse, causing the system way more money than if they just had their own doctor... it's a systemic problem that won't change unless people start speaking up).

As for the doctor who is refusing to accept you based on your race, I would be filing a complaint with the College right away. That's ridiculous and the College should be investigating your claim. She can't be that good of a doctor if she discriminates against patients.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario:
www.cpso.on.ca

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

PaulaToronto
on 11/27/13 8:15 am - Toronto, Canada

I agree with everything you say. Of course she doesn't say she won't accept me because of my nationality but the front desk says she is accepting patients and she says no and everyone of her patients that are not walk in are from her country so what does that say.

Re the doctors who said I had too many medical issues I did speak to the college and if they don't think they are experienced enough they can refuse me.  I was shocked too.

shoshanaApr2013
on 11/27/13 6:24 pm
I would still put in a complaint with the College. Tell them what you were told and what you've witnessed. It's up to them to investigate it.

Most Active
Recent Topics