Sooner than later?

Corinne_49
on 11/27/13 8:30 am - Woodstock, Canada

Hi everyone. I just have a question. I have my date for the information meeting at St. Joseph's Health Care in Hamilton. It's not till April. I have been researching RNY for about a year and a half now. I know now that I am ready, and want the surgery. I know this first visit is just for information and then to decidel if I want the surgery. Mentally, I am already there. Do you know if there is a way I can get a sooner date? Are these meetings only every so often? Is it worth my while to call, and see if I can get in sooner? If you have any information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks all !

Referral Request at doctor's  Oct. 29, 2013. Referral sent Nov. 01, 2013. Received Notice for Orientation Class Nov. 19, 2013.
Orientation Class  April 07, 2014 St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.
enlightened

kimber291
on 11/27/13 8:40 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Sorry I am not any help to you as I am registered with Humber. But from what I have read here, the wait for St.Joe's is longer then others.
Not sure if they may have a cancelation list or not. You could try.

Good luck to you!
Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Katiebear291
on 11/27/13 8:45 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

If you are willing to travel I wonder if you could call the registry and ask to change hospitals.. I have also heard about the slow 1-2 year waits for Hamilton patients but I would wait for someone who's been through that hospital to post.

I know exactly what you mean though about the mental preparedness! I was so ready a week after my Dr. recommended it. but it has taken longer than I had anticipated and that feeling fades slightly.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/13 9:25 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Corinne, I don't know any way of moving the process along. You could try asking if there is there are a cancellation list in the meantime  just ride along.

burg_vs
on 11/27/13 9:54 am

I went thru Hamilton.  Not sure if there is a waiting list or cancellation list for the orientation.  Just call the clinic and ask. The worst thing they can do is say no and best case you get your orientation moved up.

Corinne_49
on 11/27/13 10:42 am - Woodstock, Canada

Thank you. I will try calling. True, what can it hurt. I was surprised I was sent to Hamilton, as a friend I know who lives in the same town as me, not that far away from me, was sent to Guelph. Not sure who I call if I want my information sent to Guelph instead. Does anyone know how to get a file transferred? 

Referral Request at doctor's  Oct. 29, 2013. Referral sent Nov. 01, 2013. Received Notice for Orientation Class Nov. 19, 2013.
Orientation Class  April 07, 2014 St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.
enlightened

Caroline K.
on 11/27/13 9:24 pm

Guelph doesn't move quickly. I was referred in December 2012, and had my orientation in March 2013. Cleared in mid-August, and still haven't heard about the post-op class, so probably looking at surgery next year...

Loaf
on 11/27/13 9:48 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

Hi there.

I have been referred to Hamilton as well, My orientation is in January.  I have called a few times and was told (Quite Abruptly)  they do not have a cancelation list. 

Last time i talked to them to figure out some timelines. 

They told me that they were currently running behind.  My wife had her orientation in June.  Finally received a letter this week, for the dietitian in April.  They told me that my Dietitian would be in May.  So     my wife was 10 months from Orientation to dietitian, and mine will be 5 months.  (Assuming they are not BS’ing me)

From what I have heard, once you get the dietitian, things start to move faster.

SarahKnits
on 11/28/13 5:55 am

Interesting, I just google mapped it and there's only about a minute drive difference to go from Woodstock to Guelph and Hamilton.  I'm hoping, since I'm in Kitchener I'll be referred to Guelph :S.  I really don't think there's a way to get in to anywhere sooner, as the waiting lists are long and they want to make sure you have all the information you need.

Akichan
on 11/28/13 3:17 pm - Canada

Hi there!

I am also at St. Joe's and I am finding it very slow. I know they're not big on calls, but I have called them before. The Orientation is exactly that, they go over the surgery in a lot of detail, including all the stuff you have to pay for out of pocket (which was my only surprise in fact, I never thought injections wouldn't be covered by OHIP or my drug plan), and then they ask you if you want to proceed or not.

I had my orientation in August, and so far have not received my letter/bloodwork details that I was supposed to receive by the end of October according to my timeline. I am hoping that it picks up once I get my letter, but I don't know if it will, I'm over a year waiting now already so it takes a lot of patience to go through Hamilton. 

-Amanda

Referral sent: August 2012 - Orientation date: August 12, 2013 - First Appointment/Nutritionist: May 02, 2014 - ECG: May 02, 2014 - Psychologist: May 20, 2014 - Internist: June 16, 2014 - Surgeon's Appointment: July - Nutrition Class: July 17, 2013 - Pre-Op Appointment: July 21, 2014 - Surgery date: August 1, 2014

Start Weight: 367 - Optifast Start Weight: 361 

Most Active