dinner came back up - first time

dragongirl_76
on 12/2/13 12:09 am

i am almost 3 months post-op and last night i had 1 meatball and 2-3 bites of whole wheat spaghetti with plain tomato sauce (no super spices or salt etc).

about 5 minutes after my last bite i started to feel it creeping it's way back up and had to hurry to the garbage.

any idea about why this dinner wanted to make a reappearance?

i have tolerated ground meat in the past, as well as lots of other things that i probably shudn't have ie. ice cream, latte, 1/2 a muffin.

i had a few bites of pasta a couple of weeks ago that seemed to be fine.

Needanewbeginning
on 12/2/13 12:19 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I personally won't be trying any pasta, whole wheat or not, too many carbs this early out. My dietician at HRRH said at my six mnth appointment to hold off on these type of carbs (pasta/rice/breads) til closer to goal. So for me, that's what I will do. Not sure what your centre recommends and I find it also depends on who the dietician is as well. 

Annette enlightened

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

smallisland
on 12/2/13 12:45 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

My clinic said that pasta and rice are very hard to digest. You may of just been lucky the first time you tried it or you could of eaten it too quickly this time.  Wait a bit and then try again.  My clinic recommends eating some grain products.  Each clinic seems to be different.  Hope you are feeling better and things go down more smoothly for you :)

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Patm
on 12/2/13 12:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I sometimes have a problem with meatballs. Make sure they have a ton of sauce on them. If they are the least bit dry they will not agree with you.

new_me180
on 12/2/13 2:15 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Don't know what it could be. Maybe your pouch didn't agree with it that day. I had a similar experience with ground chicken and pasta that I had as left overs. It was fine the day of but when I tried it again the next day, It didn't sit well. I have read a lot of comment regarding pasta and rice. My center gave us a meal plan including examples at each meal time. They encourage us to each as normally as possible and that includes rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa at lunch or dinner although in very small quantities. I've been able to tolerate the carbs but, I can never finish the serving. Good luck

Nerak
on 12/2/13 9:31 am - Canada

I am 7 weeks post op and would only be able to eat one meatball (1in diameter) and maybe maybe maybe a teeny bit of noodles. But generally speaking, I can't eat noodles and meat. I would think it is the pasta that has given you trouble. .

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Mary A.
on 12/3/13 3:53 am

first off ditch the muffins...they are so high in calories because almost ALL muffins are made with oil...okay now that I have said my preachy part

no spices or salt in the tomato sauce, what about the meatballs????   

It could have just been an off day and luckily it will probably resolve itself.

I am almost 5 years post-op and I do have ice cream about (1) scoop once a month...just steer clear of soft serve, if you haven't dumped, that will do it..mine came 5 months after surgery I ordered a small cone, ate about 1/2 threw the rest out the car window driving home and then bang...between the nausea and having to get home to lay down ASAP, I learned my lesson soft serve ice cream was never going to make an appearance again.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

dragongirl_76
on 12/3/13 4:20 am
On December 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM Pacific Time, Mary A. wrote:

first off ditch the muffins...they are so high in calories because almost ALL muffins are made with oil...okay now that I have said my preachy part

no spices or salt in the tomato sauce, what about the meatballs????   

It could have just been an off day and luckily it will probably resolve itself.

I am almost 5 years post-op and I do have ice cream about (1) scoop once a month...just steer clear of soft serve, if you haven't dumped, that will do it..mine came 5 months after surgery I ordered a small cone, ate about 1/2 threw the rest out the car window driving home and then bang...between the nausea and having to get home to lay down ASAP, I learned my lesson soft serve ice cream was never going to make an appearance again.

yep, no more muffins for me. i wanted to try a pumpkin muffin when they first came out and had half and that was it.

i've also tried a few bites of candy cane ice cream recently, but now that i've had my fix i won't need it again.

the meatballs seemed pretty innocuous, and i made sure they were coated with tomato sauce. i suspect it may have been the pasta.....too dense.

Mary A.
on 12/3/13 4:26 am

we all have to dabble a bit in the unknown at first to see what works and what doesn't.  My husband makes great meatballs, but would always cook them in the oven then pour sauce on top...for me I need them to sit in the sauce for at least 15 minutes to absorb some of the moisture...could they have been to dry (do you think?)

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

BeckyJ58
on 12/3/13 9:52 am - Cobourg, Canada

At about the same time I tried pasta, and about 1.5 hours laterr, I thought I was having a heart attack.  The pain was excruciating.  I thought maybe it was something else...but Im sure it was the pasta.  Wont try that again for a very long time

Most Active
Recent Topics