going out to eat - petrified

Katie M.
on 12/5/13 11:09 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Tonight I am meeting a friend for dinner for the first time since surgery 7 weeks ago. The only restaurants I've eaten at so far are Tim Hortons (chilli) and Swiss Chalet (a couple bites of a chicken leg) Tonight we're going to Kelsey's. I've perused their menu online and I think the only thing I could have is the broccoli cheddar soup. It's just not the greatest choice for protein or calories I would think. I thought about trying a salad, but lettuce and I don't get along too well and I don't see any spinach-only options. It's all mixed greens. Really what I'm afraid of is getting sick. I have had bad times with chicken getting stuck, but otherwise I haven't eaten anything that's made me dump or get sick. Aside from lettuce, which didn't sit well. I think it's because I only stick to protein (usually chicken thigh or some ground beef) and steamed veggies for my lunch and dinner, and I haven't branched out from there. Breakfast is usually a protein shake or an egg with a bit of ham. Snacks are cheese string, deli sliced meat, or Laughing Cow wedges and Wheat Thins. 

I really don't want to get sick tonight trying something new, even though I know inevitably I'm going to have to try different foods to see what works. Next week I have two lunches and a dinner to go to at restaurants and I need to get over this fear. I'm so afraid of eating anything that's too fatty or greasy like a burger patty, or something too dry or dense like chicken or steak. At the same time I want to make the best choice nutritionally and get my protein in.

Has anyone else experienced this fear, and what do you eat at restaurants around two months out? Thanks!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Anastasia_Marie
on 12/5/13 11:21 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

I would suggest something like fajitas and then just eat what you can tolerate. That will give you lots of protein and the ability to eat something that will hopefully settle ok

Katie M.
on 12/6/13 12:51 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I thought about fajitas but I'm not sure about the steak. Most people I've talked to seem to have a tough time digesting it because it's so fibrous and dense, and I definitely don't want it to get stuck! I guess I'd have to ask for it to be cooked rare and see if that worked. I'm afraid of steak even though I love it :p

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Marls
on 12/6/13 2:32 am - Canada

Katie, the chicken fajitas work well in the beginning.  Enjoy

Monica9811
on 12/5/13 11:24 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Hi Katie!

Not sure who you are going out with to eat but maybe they will split something with you?  They have pork wrapped pork, steak, shrimp that I saw on there that I would order.  I always ask for a sauce on the side in case it is too dry,  I don't see chicken tacos on there-I get them at Montanas and just eat the inside of the taco and get sauce on the side.  Even if you got a small steak with gravy on the side I think you would be ok.  I would avoid anything deep fried as the grease can really kill you.  I tried a bit of cheddar ale soup at Jack Astors and it didn't sit well with me at all so not sure what the broccoli soup will be like for you.  Sometimes you can just ask for a "side" of shrimp or chicken to be added to your friends meal and then get a separate plate.

Good luck!

Katie M.
on 12/6/13 12:54 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks Monica! I'm going out with a friend who doesn't know about the surgery (and doesn't need to know, lol) and she is overweight herself so I know if I asked to split something she'd be all over me about it. But it's a good idea, and I will use it when I go next week with my Aunt who does know about the surgery. I'm definitely planning on avoiding the grease as I have a real aversion to it smell-wise now, so I might not even be able to eat anything too greasy anyway. I'm afraid of steak, especially since I've never tried it but maybe it's something I should try. I'm close to home, so if need be I can jump in my car and make a speedy exit. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Caroline K.
on 12/5/13 11:34 pm

Can you talk to the manager or chef at that Kelsey's? They may be able to cobble something together for them if you just explain that you've had stomach surgery (no need to be specific) and need a protein forward meal that's not too dry and low in fat/carbs.

Katie M.
on 12/6/13 12:56 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

That's a good idea. Maybe it would be possible to get one of the salads made with spinach only. Then even if I don't get a ton of protein at least I can still get some veggies in and then maybe have some protein shake later in the evening. Thanks!!

libra1
on 12/5/13 11:52 pm, edited 12/5/13 11:52 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

What about their "Grilled Salmon"? Ask them to not include the cream sauce and rice. You'll probably have enough left over for another meal.

Katie M.
on 12/6/13 12:58 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

If only I ate seafood! It would make life a lot easier in this regard, as there is usually always salmon on a menu. But I must have been a fish in a past life because the idea of eating them gives me the willies, lol. Good idea though!

Most Active
Recent Topics