Alcohol and RNY

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/6/13 11:33 pm, edited 12/7/13 1:14 am - Windsor, Canada

Just a reminder to all: the statistics about alcohol and gastric bypass are indeed worrisome. By two years out, as many as 1 in 10 gastric bypass patients have an alcohol dependence.    Our old body before RNY, had a valve that let alcohol slowly release into the liver. Alcohol is very hard for our livers to process. Now we don't have that valve, so our liver is very taxed when we drink. Too much alcohol can result in liver inflammation or can result in killing our liver.    Please get help NOW if you are having issues with alcohol. We've recently lost a member of our support group because of this.  Your local centre needs to know what you are going through and they can  refer you for the help that you need.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

birdiegirl
on 12/6/13 11:45 pm

That is so sad re a member of your group....I can also think of a few on OH who have experienced liver issues....

I think most of us have an addictive type of personality....and have to watch everything....some things I can do in moderation....but others I cannot....so I just avoid...

I really try to watch my alcohol consumption....and limit my intake to max 9 oz in any day....and not too many days in a row....and that may be too much....I think about it and really watch to see how I feel physically and mentally after imbibing

pugalootz
on 12/7/13 12:12 am - Canada

Thanks for the great reminder to all.  It's tough to replace a food addiction with something else that makes you feel just as good.  Sadly alcohol seems to be the one that hits the spot for many RNY patients.  

highlandbear
on 12/7/13 12:29 pm - Canada

This is a great post and perfect time for it. I am sorry that you lost a member.  I love a glass of wine but because I know drinking is not good I try and limit myself to no more than 2 glasses and no more than 4 or 5 times a year.

Yoyo4life
on 12/7/13 1:31 pm - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

Sorry to hear you lost a member of your group...but its true when we feel we have an addiction to whatever it may be during the process when we speak to either the social worker or psychiatrist we should be honest and let them know what troubles we are facing no matter how small we think they are because after having the surgery who knows what can happen...get help asked and maybe something horrible can be prevented...i really feel for that person...

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

slrm2m2
on 12/8/13 5:14 am - Canada

i am so glad that decided to stop drinking entirely post-op.  i just don't need the empty calories or an addiction problem.  food is enough of a challenge to manage.  

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

debralight
on 12/8/13 5:43 am - Canada

The thing with alcohol addiction is  you could be perfectly fine with alcohol before the surgery. i was. I could have whatever booze in my house and it was fine. I'd have a glass now and then and it would be no big deal. There was no issue to bring up to the social worker or to anyone before surgery. It just wasn't an issue. In fact I verged on tee-totaling mostly because I was so indifferent to whether I had a drink or not.

Since surgery I love alcohol - even though I'm "sleepy the drunk". I adore how it makes me feel in a way that I never felt before surgery. Luckily i recognized it and chose (and was able) to do something about it. Now I don't keep any at all in my home. And i have a drink socially only now and then in a controlled situation with friends at times when I'm no where near the wheel of a car.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Mary A.
on 12/10/13 11:28 pm

Luckily I wasn't a big drinker before surgery, and I am not at 5 yrs post-op either...Thanks for the reminder....~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics