DS in Ontario?

Gillyc
on 12/8/13 1:58 pm
DS on 12/17/13

I'm just curious, I mostly see RNY or VSG, do people in Ontario get DS or is it only used for revision?

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/8/13 7:55 pm - Windsor, Canada

The Ontario system loves RNY. Most will be steered there.  For some, vsg will be done although it is not simply a matter of choice. 

Even more rare is the DS.  It is not something that is given out freely here at all.  Most of the time, it is given only to those with a bmi of 60 or over.  It has to be somewhat fought for.  I've seen many wanting the DS and being given a big resounding no even after fighting for it.   Dr. Hong is generally the surgeon you will need to see should you decide you want to fight for a DS.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Lana00
on 12/8/13 8:41 pm, edited 12/8/13 8:42 pm

My understanding is that Dr. Hong is the only surgeon in Ontario that performs this surgery. I have also been told that the criteria is much different. This may be because of the limited amount of surgeons...I'm not sure. I know that having diabetes is a larger part of it.  I will be having this surgery. My BMI is not over 60. It is 50, but it seemed that my diabetes and age were deciding factors for Dr. Hong. 

Gillyc
on 12/8/13 10:57 pm
DS on 12/17/13

Thanks for the info.  I was curious.  I live right over the river (Gatineau) but got forwarded by an internist in Ottawa who said it was the only good reason for living on this side of the river.  I suppose it's worth waiting 26 hours in an ER with a broken ankle...

Most Active
Recent Topics