5 Weeks Post Op...

hmtmomof4
on 12/13/13 9:41 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

and 50...yes FIFTY...pounds gone forever!!! Doing amazing.....I seriously do not feel like I've had surgery at all.  Tolerating everything just fine (chicken, steak etc.).  The only hiccup was my NUT at TWH telling me that I NEED to increase my carbs as I'm in heavy ketosis all the time. She advised me to eat a turkey wrap. I took 3 small bites and had immediate discomfort....that continued to mount until I threw it all up.  Waaaaay too soon for that kind of food (and perhaps I'll never be able to eat bread again) but no big loss really.

My clothes are all hanging off me. I've gone down THREE clothing sizes already....I feel and look SO different!

Just really am so so happy with my decision.

The only downfall is that I will have NO follow up at TWH until 6 months post op!  No 1 month or 3 month post op visit!  They are booked solid until May.  I am able to e-mail the NUT  though so I guess that will have to suffice for now.  I am having no issues so I guess Im OK with this.

To everyone getting ready for their surgeries in the new year....GOOD LUCK....It's the best decision I have ever made....so so sad I didn't do this 10 years ago.

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Mandalious
on 12/13/13 9:51 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Congrats!!! 

What where your carb levels at?  When she told you to increase them? 

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

hmtmomof4
on 12/13/13 9:56 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

I was sitting around 30g per day....but I just cannot seem to get myself out of ketosis.  Her recommendation now is to add some cereal for breakfast and some no sugar added juice mixed with half water.  So far I'm still in heavy ketosis, but I'm working on it. LOL

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Mandalious
on 12/13/13 9:59 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Jeeze it's so interesting how our bodies work huh.

well you are burning fat in Ketosis. So enjoy that. 

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

libra1
on 12/13/13 10:21 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

How did she know you were in heavy ketosis? Did she test your urine to see what level of ketosis you were in--or did she base it on your written diet? I use Ketostix once a week. I got them from the pharmacy. You urinate on the stick first thing in the morning and it will let you know what level of ketosis you're in.

hmtmomof4
on 12/13/13 10:35 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Yes, I also have the ketostix at home.  When I was testing with them they instantly went to a dark purple.  She said she doesn't want me in ketosis.  Not really sure why as I didn't think ketosis was a bad thing.....and I am willing to bet that most people 5 weeks post op are in ketosis.

libra1
on 12/13/13 11:58 pm, edited 12/14/13 12:03 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

".....and I am willing to bet that most people 5 weeks post op are in ketosis"

I totally agree with you -- maybe at your 3 or 6 month appointment I could understand this thinking. I'm a bit miffed that you aren't getting a 3 or 6 month appointment. I thought one of the success factors was patient follow up. You are a much kinder person than I. I would have been very annoyed at them. The main reason I was excited about this program was because of the support and follow-up.

You've done extremely well. Congratulations! I wish you all the best.enlightened

Most Active
Recent Topics