A little disappointed with my surgeon

alysan
on 12/17/13 7:14 pm - Canada

I didn't know how to title.  But here goes....I had my first appt  with Dr. Reed yesterday and got my surgery date. 

I guess I was thinking that I would have this warm fuzzy feeling meeting him...I don't know! I was disappointed with his demeanor.  I found him abrupt, almost rude. 

I would ask him questions,which I guess he didn't want them asked and he would dismiss them.  I wanted to know about laxatives while on opti and after surgery because I have heard on this forum about so many ppl saying they have trouble with constipation after.  Well I asked him and he said, "have you ever had problems before", ME, "no not really but I know that some ppl are having a hard time while on the opti and after". HiM, "well if you follow exactly what we tell you then you won't have problems". ME "well just in case....", HIM, "you won't!!!!" and dismissed it.  (Fay brought it up when we talked about the Opti after my session with him and answered my question because she said so many ppl get constipated)

I found that went on with a few other questions I asked.  The one that really bothered me was when I asked about my insulin. He wanted to stick to his statistic read out and that was it. 

So I guess I am kind of let down.  I usually have quite a good repore (sp?)with most doctors that I meet but not him. I know it doesn't matter really but I've heard others say that he was such a sweetheart etc that I guess it was just me.  

Oh well life goes on!  

My surgery is Feb. 13. 

Nerak
on 12/17/13 7:21 pm - Canada

I can understand why you would want to feel like you had a therapeutic relationship with your surgeon. This makes sense. I am not defending his rude/abrupt behaviour but they do have immense pressure on them and these kinds of questions are probably best for the nutritionist and nurse practitioner - and the literature you are given. What makes a good surgeon is not necessarily what makes a good person:) . I would check out my doctors track record with surgery above how friendly they are. But ya I get you. 

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Sunny123
on 12/17/13 7:54 pm, edited 12/17/13 7:55 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

To be honest when I first Dr Neville the woman before me was in there for an hour and a half....I know, because I had to be up in Ottawa all day so I spent hours in the Bariatric Clinic.

The Dr was polite enough but she didn't give me an opportunity to ask questions. I didn't post this previously because I knew she was probably trying to get back on schedule and I had read previous posts on how great she is. Not sure what your Dr's situation was but this could have been the case.  And yes, he probably thought the answers were best for the NUT and NP...totally agree with Nerak.

Now when it came down to the day of my surgery (You may have read my surgery post), she was talking to me about traveling and really made me feel at ease.

I hope this is the case with your Dr. 

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Katie M.
on 12/17/13 8:10 pm, edited 12/17/13 8:20 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I've only met one surgeon in my life with a good bedside manner. Sometimes people who are really intelligent and have a scientific, analytical bent don't have the greatest people skills ;) My surgeons appointment lasted all of 90 seconds. He came in, shook my hand, said there are risks and rewards and then said "you'll do great" and practically ran from the room. I talked to the surgical resident for much longer. (About 10 minutes) But the doctor who ended up doing my surgery (not the one I met) was fantastic and had great people skills. He's the first one I've met that seemed easy going. But even if I'd ended up with the guy who bolted from the room, if he was an incredible surgeon that's all that matters. The rest of the team could answer questions and whatnot, for me all the surgeon needed to be good at was doing the surgery. And as someone else said, they live under a lot of pressure. 

Anyway, try not to let that one encounter discourage you. If he knows what he's doing then you're in good hands :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/13 8:39 am

dr. jackson is awesome, isn't he!  what did you think of his eyes (i have a weakness for blue eyes)?  he was certainly a nice voice to wake up to after surgery and a the best guy to see afterwards as well!

please consider rating him at ratemymd.com -- he only has two ratings (including my own), but certainly deserves a brighter profile!  :)

who was the resident you met before surgery -- ?

Katie M.
on 12/18/13 9:44 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Seriously, even in the morphine-crazed ***** fest I was having (morphine and I don't get along) as soon as Dr Jackson came in the room apparently I calmed right down and just smiled beatifically at him, lol :p He's gorgeous. And add a lovely personality on top of his good looks! My parents loved him so much they wrote the hospital after my surgery to say how great he was. And they're not the "write a letter" kind of people. I will definitely be putting in a review at ratemymd!

I wish I could recall the resident's name - I saw him before surgery and then afterwards he saw me both days along with Dr Cyriac (I think that's who it was). He was on the shorter side, dark hair and eyes, young. I'm not sure his background, maybe southeast Asian but no accent. He was really nice. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/13 10:45 am

Oh Katie --- the fact your parents wrote a note to the hospital brought tears to my eyes!  i really don't think we give special people the praise they deserve -- i am so happy your parents did this for dr. jackson.  :D

in the new year, i am planning on writing a letter to the pres/ceo of TWH about my experience.  i am the first person to be cantankerous and complain about care.  i had absolutely nothing to complain about during my time at TWH -- and, if anything, felt like i was being treated like a VIP every step of my stay.  i am speechless really (that is probably why i have yet to write the letter -- i am still trying to find the words to really express how remarkable of an experience i had).  i find this very compelling -- something i have to do.

IMH-spirtual-O, this surgery is  truly god's work.  what these surgeons do is transform lives.  every step of the way, each and every player, dealt with me with such care, such precision, such commitment (except the psychiatrist who's ego was a million times bigger than his dick ...but alas, he is, of course, a psychiatrist!).  never in my wildest dreams would i have thought that a surgical experience would have gone the way it did.  i still say to myself, even if i do develop a post-surgical problem, i know deep in my heart that every member of that team did everything with precision -- the pride they all took in their work is inspiring.  i truly believe they are the best of the best at TWH.  i am sure there are more lucrative surgeries these surgeons could take part in, or the allied health professionals could be a part of, but they choose to focus on bariatric surgery.  these people are beyond good health professionals, i really feel they are extraordinary people.  

alysan
on 12/18/13 7:46 pm - Canada

LOL!!!!!!

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Patm
on 12/17/13 8:16 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

At least you met the surgeon. The day I was to meet him I waited 1.5 hours and I never saw him just finally the nurse practitioner. I met him for 5 minutes before the surgery and then never again. Fortunately he was a good surgeon and all has gone well.

new_me180
on 12/17/13 9:19 pm, edited 12/17/13 9:20 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

You have to take him with a pinch of salt, he's my doctor too. He's good at what he does but, not too "cozy", that's his personality. You are in good hands and I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics