3 Days post Op

jolemalamb
on 12/16/13 10:48 am - Sutton West, Canada

Hello everyone.

This is day 3 post op for me. I had my surgery at Humber on the 13th. It was done by Dr. Sohi. I recently read another patient's surgery experience on here, and I enjoyed reading, and found it helpful. This is how my surgery went.

My surgery was scheduled for 1030 in the morning, so we had to be there for 0830. My husband and I come from out of town, so we opted to stay in a hotel the night before, to ensure we arrived on time. My husband kept the room for my entire stay.

Immediately upon arriving, I was registered and then asked to change into a hospital gown, housecoat, cap and booties. I stuffed my clothes into my little carry-on bag I had brought. (For the ladies, unfortunately it was "that time of the month" for me. I was so embarrassed. I was told I had to wear the hospital mesh underwear, and sanitary pad. The underwear didn't even come close to fitting me. I had to rip them to get them on. I was so worried about having an accident.)

I then had to sit with a nurse who took my vital signs, went through my info on the computer with me, and locked up my belongings in a locker. She then gave me 3 plain Tylenol and a long acting Hydromorph capsule.

We were then asked to wait in the reception room. After about 5 minutes a service assistant asked for me, and  my husband and I followed him to the surgery wing. We waited there for a while. Well past the time my surgery was to begin. I was so nervous.

Finally, the anesthiologist came out and spoke to me, then a nurse came and told me it was time. I kissed my husband, and hurried after her. I was assisted onto a stretcher.

The stretcher was shaped kind of like a cross. I was assisted onto it. I had to shuffle down so that my feet were pressed firmly against a padded board at the bottom. My arms were then laid out flat, and I was "strapped" down. The nurse then inserted an IV on my left hand. Dr. Sohi then came in and spoke to me. I have no memory of what he said, lol. My mind was elsewhere.

The nurse then put the mask on my face, telling me to take deep breaths. I did, and tasted a bitter gas. I took many breaths. I remember thinking "this is taking too long!!". I dozed off, and next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. I remember thinking "the pain is not so bad!!" But I was extremely nauseous. They gave me some Gravol.

I dozed off again and woke in my room with my husband sitting next to me. I was assisted up to the bathroom about and hour later, and was even walking in the hall later that night. Sitting in bed too long gave me a sore bum. I had to get up.

As for the pain, I was given Tylenol elixir every 6 hours. It is sticky sweet. I was allowed to have morphine iv every 4 hours for pain. I only used it at night. I think I asked for it once during the day.

My husband filled all my discharge prescriptions while I was napping. I was not given an opiate pain medication when being discharged. I thought I would be ok, but the Tylenol elixir just wasn't cutting it at home. I followed up with my family Dr today, and she gave me a script for some Hydromorph syrup. There are very few pain meds we can take, apparently. Its a mild dose, but it is helping me immensely.

I have been very careful since being home. So far, no vomiting, and my dressings look good (there are 5). My husband assisted me with a shower tonight, but I am moving around independently now. I just get tired easily. I plan on relaxing and reading all this week.

I hope that helps some of you out there :)

lilolovesstitch
on 12/16/13 12:30 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/14/14

Hi

I'm glad your doing well. How many days were you in the hospital?

shoshanaApr2013
on 12/16/13 12:43 pm
Thank you for posting this. I also have Dr Sohi and will be having surgery in January. It's great to get an idea of what will happen.

Did Dr Sohi visit you after the surgery?

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/13 1:22 pm

Thank you so much for telling us your story, I am happy you are doing so well, get lots of rest and take care!!

Philippa
on 12/16/13 1:45 pm - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 04/02/14

Thank you so much for telling your story, it is extremely helpful. Get lots of rest.

jolemalamb
on 12/16/13 7:13 pm - Sutton West, Canada
I was in the hospital for 48 hours.

Most Active
Recent Topics