My 2 week post-op update for curious pre-ops!

Melissa.M
on 12/28/13 12:35 am - Canada

2 week post-op check-in. I thought the pre-ops might be especially interested in how my early days are going.

Okay, so everything is going great. Way better than I could have anticipated. I'm feeling great, no pain, incisions healed well, lots of energy. I'm one of those rare ones that is easily able to get in all my protein and fluids. I've been able to get at least 70g of protein since about 5 days post-op.

A typical day (foodwise) lately is a premier protein shake in the morning , a greek yogurt , 2 ryvita crackers with 2 triangles of laughing cow cheese , 2 oz of turkey, 3 lean meatballs, 1c skim milk.  I have not yet felt any discomfort or thrown up. Well, wait...I had a handful of mixed nuts last night and about died but other than that, fantastic! LOL  I've kind of weaned myself off the pureed diet and stick to soft food. Ham, cheese and eggbeater omelettes are a staple. I'm going to try to incorporate more beans into my diet. On Christmas, I actually ate a decent amount...turkey w gravy, mashed potatoes, turnip, carrots. Ok, it was a small amount but a full meal to me! Loved it! Not struggling at all with the small amount and not really battling cravings. No chocolate or baked goods over the holidays and I was perfectly fine with it and comfortable around it.

I hate the scale, however. LOL  Staying off of it for awhile. I lost 25 lbs on the shakes, then 15 lbs the 1st week and nothing since last Saturday. I know, though, that my caloric intake is low and my body is in shock and recuperating so I know it's a normal part of the process and I'm not freaking out over the stall. Talk to me next week, though... ;)  People are already noticing, though. I think every single person that I interact with on a regular basis has commented on my weight loss. Apparently it's noticeable in my face since I'm always bundled in an effin' parka (thanks -40 degrees). Imagine in the spring when I saunter around wearing nipple tassles and high heels...it sure will be noticeable then!

So yeah, all is well. Feeling good and positive and glad I did this. I will be even happier when I start to see that scale going down again. Looking forward to shopping in the spring!

Referral:Nov 14, 2012~~Orientation:Dec 14~~Nurse:Mar 26~~Abd Ultrsound:Apr 18~~Beh/Nut:May 9, 2013~~Surgery:Dec 12, 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/13 12:54 am

Hi, Im so happy your surgery went well. 

Is your nutritionist ok with what & the amount you are eating? It concerns me because at my clinic I will still be on fluids at 2 weeks out. Remember the nerves are damaged and yes you may be able to eat all but you are not eating the right things. Im not trying to insult you, I am concerned. But your nutritionist knows best and if he/she is fine with it then good for you. 

Melissa.M
on 12/28/13 5:00 am - Canada

Nah, I'm not insulted. It takes a lot to insult me! LOL   And yes, I am following the plan. I'm through Ottawa and we are on liquids for 1 week and starting at the beginning of week 2, we can progress to purees if we can tolerate it. I pureed everything for the 2nd week even though most stuff is puree-like. She told me that  didn't have to puree things like eggs or cooked veggies, or even meat if I chewed it well and had it with a liquid of some sort. She said as long as I could tolerate it and wasn't feeling any pain or discomfort to go ahead with the soft foods. Aside from the mixed nuts (stupid me thinking nuts=protein and not thinking until I chewed a few to a paste that "oh, these are on the no-no list" lol), everything I have been eating is "right'. She told me to try turkey and gravy and veggies on Christmas if I was feeling up to it. But by no means is it a lot.I am eating about 1/4c at at a time so it was a teeny Christmas dinner! LOL  it satisfied me, though! :)  I haven't been eating anything laden with sugar or fat,  no caffeine or carbonation, lots of water. Just meats, soup, eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, cheese, hummus, beans and a few (minimal) veggies. Everything I have eaten has been in our dietary guide for the pureed stage. I'm not one to push the envelope and this surgery is such a gift that I wouldn't throw it away. I am well-prepared and knowledgeable and plan on following the dietary recommendations to a tee. Thanks for your concern, though, and good luck with your surgery! :)

Referral:Nov 14, 2012~~Orientation:Dec 14~~Nurse:Mar 26~~Abd Ultrsound:Apr 18~~Beh/Nut:May 9, 2013~~Surgery:Dec 12, 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/13 10:55 pm

wtg -- congrats on the success so far!  you know your program and what it dictates.  you seem like a bright young woman committed to your health - you know what is right to eat and when.  don't let the busy-body-critical-folk on here try and make you feel off your game.  you are totally on your game!!  WTG!!!!

keep us posted !!

Julie99
on 12/28/13 4:09 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Thank you so much Melissa for this very informative post.  I'm so glad everything is going great for you...very positive :)  Happy Holidays! broken heart

Referral: June 26, 2013  Confirmation: July 4, 2013  Orientation(OWMC) Sept.13, 2013  Nurse: Dec. 3, 2013  Nut/Beh: Jan. 28, 2014  Pre-surgical class: Feb. 26, 2014  Meet Surgeon: March 18, 2014  PAU: July 11, 2014  Surgery with Dr. Yelle: Aug. 11, 2014              

Melissa.M
on 12/28/13 5:02 am - Canada

Thanks! You too!  Good luck with your journey. You're in good hands with the OWMC and the nursing staff at the Civic is AMAZING!

shoshanaApr2013
on 12/28/13 5:33 am
Thank you for the post. It's great to hear how others are doing... and I'm glad to hear that you're doing well!

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Yoyo4life
on 12/28/13 8:32 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

Hey girl so happy for you hope you continue to have a great progress...im on the shakes and hoping to heal as good as you did...keep us newbies up to date and cant wait to hear about when you wear those tassels!!!

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

Blueiiis
on 12/28/13 9:47 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

You sound so positive and happy, I am glad things are going so well for you! 

Farcol03
on 12/28/13 9:47 am - Canada

Thanks for your post. I have my surgery on Jan 6 th with Dr Yelle. How long did you stay in the hospital?

Most Active
Recent Topics