Dawn's inspired me to 'fess up. No judgment wanted or needed.

Monica M.
on 12/30/13 10:15 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

I'll be three years out, March 2, 2013. I never 'quite' reached my goal. The first year was easy. The second and third, not so much. I eat way more carbs than i should. Heck, i eat way more than i should. Not reaching my goal and some regain has put me about 25 - 30 lbs from my goal. I'm seriously afraid of going over 200 lbs if i don't do something positive. I've set up a calendar, and started recording my purposeful steps. I've set up a reward system for myself if i can make 15k a week in purposeful movement. That won't do it all, tho. I really need to fix my issues with food. If its there, i eat it. I've started ridding my environment of unwanted foods, and i'm going to try making a meal plan (which will help with my food budget too, i hope).

I have to remember my motivation for this surgery.

1. Be healthy for my family

2. get to a normalish weight so that i could be a kidney donor for my niece (i wanted to give to my sister, but i was morbidly obese at the time, and not a candidate for surgery). I'm desperately afraid that i'm going to get to my surgery date for the donor surgery on March 6, and they'll tell me that i'm too fat now.

3. Be able to run 10k. I've done a few races already, but i want to keep doing them. I want to be able to run whenever i feel like it.  It was a dream of mine to be a "runner" and now i see that dream slipping away from me.

4. look hot in jeans. sigh. i just bought bigger jeans cuz mine didn't fit. I want to wear size 12! please... just let me remember that when i reach for the effing cookie.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/30/13 10:52 pm - Windsor, Canada

Monica

First of all, can I say how much I love you!!!  I should know that someone as strong as you would "come out" here and help me spread the message! You are the bestest! 

I think the first thing that all of us have to do is create a SMART goal and it sounds like you've got it planned out for success and ready to go.  That's definitely the first step towards success of any kind.  I've found over the years that BY FAR the food piece is the biggest piece because it's too easy to out eat our calories.  This week for instance, I've just started with my food piece because that is the hardest piece. Exercise is somewhat easy for me, eating is the real ***** every day as well.

Sounds like you have some great goals in mind.  #2 is absolutely amazing.  I think that is spectacular motivation.  Mine right now is the tummy tuck.  Far more selfish than yours. 

I know the size 12 as well.  I've never gotten lower than a 10.  I'm hoping if I lose some weight and get my tt maybe I'll get into single digits. :)  It's always bothered me that I never got into single digits.

I have a little accountability group on facebook if you want to join us.  It's a secret group.  If not, please post here to keep us updated on your progress.  Personality accountability I think is one of the biggest parts to success.

You can do this lady. You've always been a courageous soul and a strong woman!!  You've got this if you just stay focused on the prize.

Lotsa positive vibes your way,

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Monica M.
on 12/31/13 2:54 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

Dawn, you are a wonderful, caring, special lady. A tummy tuck is on my list of motivations too. I asked the kidney surgeon if i could get a twofer, but he said i was perfect the way i was. lol Sweet talker.

The food piece is, by far the most diffiuclt thing. I've always said that its easier to do something for an hour or so, than NOT do something for the other 22 - 23 hours. Nibble nibble nibble.... grrrrrr.

i think i might belong to that accountability group.. or maybe i dropped out? add me, anyway. But i will also come back here and update on my progress. Everyone here, newbie, olbie, pre, post op, they all need to know the truth.

You are a fantastic friend.

Mon

Catw
on 12/30/13 11:28 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Bravo Monica!  You are very strong to be admitting this not just to us, but to yourself.  We all know what we should be doing, and I won't remind you.  I haven't been following the rules myself very well over the past year.  It's been a bad year for that, and for my life.  I've already started to feel some of the side effects of my bad habits (nothing that can't be fixed).  I've already resolved to myself that I'm changing this.  We can do this together.  Some of the things I need to fix is my calcium and my water.  Already started working on that.  Starting on Monday January 6th, I'm going to start the 5 day pouch test.  If you're interested in joining me, I could use a partner.  See if we can kick those carbs together.

I also need to get back to the gym.  Not doing the stairs, or lifting as much as I had been.

We can both do this!

Cathy

kmuehlei
on 12/31/13 2:19 am - NJ

What is the 5 day pouch test?  I am gearing to kick off the new year on the right track.  While 
I did loose 110 lbs through WLS I have managed to re-gain 20 lbs this past year and i am now 90 lbs away from my goal.  I am looking to put together a plan to jumpstart my goal to move that scale in the right direction.  Thanks and good luck to you as well.

Catw
on 12/31/13 3:33 am - Arnprior, Canada

The 5 Day Pouch test is a 5 day diet that some do to kick carb cravings.  It's basically our starting levels in 5 days.  You can look up the exact diet on www.5daypouchtest.com.  It's basically 2 days of shakes, then fluids, then soft food then solid food.  The site will tell you more.  

On Friday, I'll send a post out and see if I can get a group together to start on Monday.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 12/31/13 3:59 am - Toronto, Canada

I'll join you Cathy. I was planning on giving it a go. I tried it once before, when I was up three pounds, and lost those three pounds in two days and kept them off, so I didn't bother with the other three days LOL.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Leanne1
on 1/1/14 12:09 am - Newmarket, Canada

I will join you for the 5dpt!! Monday is a great day to start :)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Monica M.
on 12/31/13 2:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

let me think about the 5DPT... i might need a kick like that to get me going.

You can do hard things, you know that. I'm changing this too. NO more BS! lol

Mon

gunnabehealthy
on 12/30/13 11:56 pm

I give you ladies much credit for putting it out there!! I am 10 months this week and down 110-115 pounds. I did not do very well over the holidays though. I can eat sugar and have fatter foods. I feel a little unwell at the time, but it passes. I gained about 5-7 pounds over the month of December, but now down 3. So, my question is how do you get back on track?? I did a 5K on the 24th, the Reindeer Romp here in my home town. Felt great doing it in the -15C (-21C windchill), but did I do well the rest of the day, NOT!! I have gone from a size 24 last year at this time pants to a 10 this year. I think that is awesome, but I know I could be doing better. I have 2 months to get back on track before my one year follow up. Any suggestions as to how to get back on track?? I would like to know if any of you have done a triathlon mini? There is one in July in a near by town and I am thinking of making that a goal for me. WHATCHA THINK?? I have done 2 official 5K runs already. I do like biking as well. But the swimming not so great at. I am not doing this as a timed event, but just  to say that I did it!! That is something I can work on though. Another goal I would like to do is in June a 10K as a fund raiser for the hospital that I work at. I really think these are attainable goals, but do you think I am nuts?? HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE AND ALL THE BEST IN 2014!!

Most Active
Recent Topics