2.5 wk post op Need Reassurance re weight loss/gain

G_mama_d
on 1/4/14 9:18 pm - North Bay, Canada

So i am 2.5 weeks post op. Last monday i weighed in at 256, today at 261!!!!  How on earth did i gain 5 pounds. I am following the program, getting in between 70-80 gm protein daily, 8+ cups of water.  Bowels are working. It is so hard to not get discouraged. Did anyone else experience this?  I just want to sit and cry.  Thx for listening, i know the people here understand my concerns.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

mispysmom
on 1/4/14 9:44 pm - elliot lake, Canada
Dont worry....things will work themselves out.....maybe u need a new battery in ur scale...tht happened to me..mi.e was weighing all wonky and when.i.chamged the battery all was well...u need to give ur body time.to adjust....if ur following the plan it will work....there is no way it cant...be patient :)

Amanda

Karen M.
on 1/4/14 10:08 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Right now your body is in a state of "WTF DID YOU DO TO ME??!!".  Just keep doing what you're doing and the pounds WILL come off. Discouraging, isn't it. This too shall pass!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Katie M.
on 1/4/14 10:50 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Totally normal!! Especially in the first few weeks after surgery. My three week-ish stall lasted about ten days and I was gaining and losing the same two or three pounds the whole time. Then all of a sudden a big drop, about two weeks of sustained loss, then another stall, and the cycle repeated itself. Right now I'm up 1.2 lbs! It's just your body's way of slowing things down so it can adjust. It doesn't want to give up a single ounce of fat, it thinks it's been preparing for an impending famine all these years. So now that we're technically starving our bodies, the healing that's taking place - as Karen said your body is freaking out. Stalls are frustrating and a pain in the butt, but don't worry because eventually you will start to lose again! You just have to stick to the plan and maybe put the scale away for a week or so ;)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/14 11:08 pm

ditto.

our bodies our extraordinary.  it is doing what it needs to right now and it is trying desperately to make sense to what you are doing to it.  give it some time and it WILL sort regain its sanity and start the logical downward progression expected from your proceedure.

:)  I can't wait to read your victory posts for you first 10lb weight loss!!

G_mama_d
on 1/4/14 11:19 pm - North Bay, Canada

THANK YOU everyone for your reassuring words. I feel better now, think i will try hard to avoid the scale. I have a doctor's appt on jan 14 i will weigh in then. I cannot complain, i lost 15 on opti and 10 more since surgery, so still down 25.  Thanks again for your support:)

RNY - Dec 18/2013

jolemalamb
on 1/4/14 11:21 pm - Sutton West, Canada

I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op, and this happens tome all the time. I actually shed a few tears over it last night.

Last Monday I was down to 302. I was so happy, thinking, in no time, I will say goodbye to the 300's forever. Last night I stepped on the scale and 309.4!! How did I gain over 7 lbs in a week??

This morning I stepped on the scale again, and 303.2.

I have been forcing myself to drink more. I figure that's why it was higher. Over time, it will work itself out. I am definitely not eating enough to gain, that's for sure.

I understand how frustrating it is though.

G_mama_d
on 1/4/14 11:33 pm, edited 1/4/14 11:38 pm - North Bay, Canada

I  feel your pain, common sense tells me i know its normal as im not eating enough to gain, but the old little devil on the other shoulder is laughing and really ******g me off. Lol

RNY - Dec 18/2013

Amarachi
on 1/4/14 11:43 pm - Canada

The last time i had surgery the anesthetic caused me to gain and retain water, i was swollen in my face, hands, feet, legs it was well distributed but i knew i was holding water, it took a good three weeks and suddenly i lost 15lbs literally overnight. Your body is recovering from major surgery and soon everything will even out.  25 lbs since Opti is amazing you are right on track!!

Orientation HRRH Oct 21,13 / Surgeon Nov 1,13 / SW,RD,RN, Internist Dec 3,13 / PATTS Jan 14,14 / Surgery Jan 20,14

G_mama_d
on 1/5/14 1:04 am - North Bay, Canada

Thank you :)

RNY - Dec 18/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics