What is the purpose of follow up visits?

EternalEx
on 1/29/14 9:30 am - Canada

First off, I do understand the need for follow up to monitor progress, for stats, etc. And I go and will continue to go because I believe in the research aspect of the program.

however, i also thought it would provide guidance/support as we progress. Yesterday was my 6 month f/u (at 7 mths) and it was a complete waste of time and money.

what i got was semi-lectures because i'm choosing an unorthodox approach to my vitamins and because i refuse to eat chemical laden foods and opt instead to eat as "real" as possible.

the questions i asked were met with text book answers that were not really applicable to me. So i'm left feeling like this is a waste. Is it just me? Maybe there's more support for those who aren't on track or have more issues? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/14 9:32 am
Could you elaborate on vitamins and foods, please ?
EternalEx
on 1/29/14 9:34 am - Canada

I do monthly IV transfusions for my vitamins instead of daily (and my labs are all good).

an example from yesterday was that i used butter instead of margarine. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/14 9:46 am, edited 1/29/14 9:47 am
I am not sure on transfusions as it is going to be a pure dose straight to the blood stream. You might be getting more than you need. I will go for luquids or what i use now in vegetable caps. I would never go Centrum as by the time the hard tablet dissolves I am not sure how much if any benefit of a vitamin I will get. Aa far as butter.. i hardly use it now, a 1/4 stick lasts me a month but I would not touch margarine with a 10 foot pole. I think Ill stick to my own nutritionist post-op. Hasnt failed me yet
Katie M.
on 1/29/14 6:42 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I'd say if everything is going well, the real purpose for visits is for them to gather statistics and to encourage you to stay on track. You know they aren't going to like it when people go off-program, especially when it comes to vitamins. I'd expect to get the lectures every time you go even if your labs look good and you are losing weight, are healthy in every other regard. They want everyone on the same regime. I don't know what was up with the talk about margarine, my nut said if you're only having butter a few times a week or even a tiny bit once a day it's better than the chemical concoction that is margarine. But every centre is different I guess. IMO the follow ups are for monitoring your progress for their research and to keep you healthy, and giving you info to get back on track should you slip. (And hopefully none of us slip!)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Mary A.
on 1/31/14 4:59 am

Not that I am saying you should never go to a follow-up..but I never went to a follow-up because mine surgery was done in Minnesota.  I am very fortunate to have a doctor that I do my  quarterly blood panels through and *****cently sent me for an endscopy because I was having terrible stomach pains...turns out I have a gastric ulcer.

If you are not receiving the service (and that is what they are providing (a service) that you feel is beneficial, hopefully you have a GP that is someonwhat familiar with what you have gone through and can help you into the future.  Othe rthan blood panels...at 6 months I am not sure what other types of service/informaiton you are given.  Perhaps the clinic asks it's patients back to monitor their success???

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Ottawa34
on 2/4/14 10:10 am - Ottawa, Canada

I have to agree as well.  I'm 3 yrs out and feel I don't get the support I did when I first went through surgery.  Alot of the issues i've been having with abdo discomfort and pain that started shortly after surgery are being dismissed and i'm being refered to my family physician for continuing care.  My family dr is not that familiar with Roux en Y.

At my 2 yr follow up I wasn't even sent for blood work, I was told that if they thought it was relevant they would send me a requisition in the mail.  I'm at a loss of where to turn when I have questions or frustrations.   I'm due for my 3 yr follow up in 1 month, I'll see how that goes.

Good luck, I hope you're healing well and feeling great :) 

Amy

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active
Recent Topics