Remember When & Be Grateful!

Curious.George
on 1/30/14 2:58 am - Canada

Hi everyone. I just want to share some thoughts with you.  Lately the scale has not moved as quickly as I would like it to and I can get pretty hard on myself! What I think it is important for me to do from time to time is "Remember When"... I remember when I was so obese that I could not go up and down stairs properly. I remember when I was so big that I had to take percocet for the pain in my back and the tendonitis in my heel. I remember what a "high" I got from eating a whole 2 litre jug of icecream in one sitting... and then how awful I felt for having eaten it.  I was so sad and in such a bad place. I was always beating myself up.  Now, through this wonderful gift I have been given and some help from my "higher power" (who I choose to call God but you can call anything you like), I have managed to lose 85 lbs!  Now you would think I would be happy with losing 85 lbs!!  So, I guess what I need to do is remember where I am coming from and learn to live in the moment, be happy with my progress and stop beating myself up because of a stupid number on a stupid scale! LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to share these thoughts with you because sometimes we are just so hard on ourselves and we need to learn to love ourselves and enjoy life one day at a time.  Life is grand and this journey is amazing.  It will have ups and downs but instead of keeping my eye on the prize at the end, I have decided that there is "no end" "no destination"!  Just this wonderful journey.

Hugs to all,

Marj

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

Catw
on 1/30/14 5:02 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hey Marj!

That's the best attitude.  We are always so hard on ourselves over the number that we see on a scale, that we forget all the things that we can't see or measure as easily.  Things like looser clothes, loser jewelry.  Energy that we now have.  Pain that has disappeared.  Medications that are not needed any more.  And on and on.

One of the things that have been suggested is to have before and after pictures, so we can see where we used to be, and see our journey in pictures as we go.  All the little NSVs show so much mor that that silly scale we use.

Cathy

Curious.George
on 1/31/14 2:32 am - Canada

Hi Cathy,

I have a "before" picture and I am now going to take a "now" picture. Thanks for the suggestion.  I've gone from a "tight" 22 to a 16, so I should be thrilled with myself!  Thanks for sharing.

Marj

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

libra1
on 1/30/14 5:54 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Your timing is perfect. Its been a rough few days. I've been a bit hard on myself. Thanks for the reminder ... Sometimes hearing/reading someone elses thoughts makes it easier to process.

Curious.George
on 1/31/14 2:34 am - Canada

For me, even the weather has had an impact on my moods. The "cold" doesn't help any!  I am going to make a conscious effort to be more positive all around!  Let's cheer up together!

Marj

libra1
on 1/31/14 3:07 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

shoshanaApr2013
on 1/30/14 1:02 pm
Absolutely!

The most important numbers are the years, months, days, hours and minutes we have added to our lives because we are living healthier, more active, and happier lives.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

libra1
on 1/30/14 1:57 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Well said.

Curious.George
on 1/31/14 2:39 am - Canada

Well said! Thanks for sharing.

Most Active
Recent Topics