Might be in trouble ...

CCs_mum
on 1/31/14 2:31 am

I'm 13 months out from surgery and I believe my last OWMC appointment (follow-up) was for my 6 month... nothing since.  Do I bother calling them?

I've never had any issues or complications since surgery.  Personally, I think the NUT and the BEH appointments are a waste of my time anyway.  The last appointment with the nurse was all of 2 min long.

My family doctor does the same blood work and he likes all the numbers.

Anyone else fall behind with the clinic appontments after surgery?

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

Curious.George
on 1/31/14 2:44 am - Canada

I missed my 3 month follow up because I had the worst case of "dumping syndrome"!  I was soooooooooooo sick I could not stop wretching!  Anyway, they just faxed the bloodwork to my family doctor and the nurse from TGH and my doctor discussed the results. I do have a 6 month appointment that I will most likely go to since I missed the 3 month. Then I can decide if it is worth the travel time from Mississauga to downtown Toronto! Hope this helps.

Marj

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

Nanato2
on 1/31/14 3:12 am, edited 1/31/14 3:14 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Yes your doctor does the same blood work however, those results etc. do not go into the stats for bariatric patients. The information TWH, HRRH and other centres gather goes into thier status for things like long term results, complications, etc, and they also go to OHIP so OHIP can see the results and benefits of OHIP still funding the surgery. 

So for me I think going to the appointments is very beneficial so the information can be gathered and OHIP can keep funding the surgery for others. 

There should be no issue with you missing an appointment just call them. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

LilyBugsMommy
on 1/31/14 3:51 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I am through OWMC and I don't think they will say too much if you just call them up and book an appointment. I have always found them to be friendly and helpful.

I would book an appointment just to check in with them and like the other poster stated, the info is needed for their stats and to help future surgeries for others that need it.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Most Active
Recent Topics