My Post-Surgery Experience - Days 3 to 8 Post-Op

shoshanaApr2013
on 2/1/14 12:25 pm
This post is a follow-up to "My Surgery Experience (including some helpful tips)" that I posted yesterday.

My surgery and hospital experience was much better than I ever expected. My first evening home (Day 3) and Day 4 were the hardest. I was really struggling both physically and emotionally.

My Mum and Dad had come to look after me (for which I am forever grateful), and my Mum had warned me that sooner or later I would probably have a big cry. As usual, she was right! Day 4 was it.

I deal with emergencies for a living so I'm very used to pushing through whatever needs to be done and then breaking down once the action is over. I went into surgery with the attitude that I was going to be calm, maintain a sense of humour, and be a low maintenance patient - which really saw me through. Once the dust settled it all hit me.

I had been sent home with a brochure on what and how much to eat during each phase. I wasn't coming anywhere close to meeting the guidelines and it freaked me out. Everything I drank felt like a ball of cement going down and settling in my new stomach. I tried drinking the fluids at different temperatures and with or without Crystal Light. Nothing worked. 30ml of water felt like I had eaten a 20 pound turkey. I had met my "surgery twin" in the hallways of the hospital as we were both doing our walking, and on Day 2 she was already on Full Fluids* and couldn't wait to progress. It felt like I was failing by not getting in enough nourishment or protein.

I called the Centre and asked them if this was normal and I got the same answer to every question: "everyone is different... come in if it doesn't feel normal". But how was I to know what "normal" was supposed to feel like?

I was extremely frustrated, exhausted, and worried that I had made a huge mistake. I felt like I had painted myself into a corner I couldn't get out of - it was too late to turn back. I was questioning if I could really do it while knowing that I no longer had a choice in the matter. I think a part of me was also mourning the loss of my former life. The last thing I wanted to do was eat, but the thought of not being able to down a medium pizza, 10 wings, and a litre of diet coke depressed me to no end. It was a rough couple of days. To add to the depression I hadn't lost a single ounce since my pre-surgery weigh-in (I weighed myself again on Day 7 and had mysteriously dropped 7 lbs almost overnight).

Worried and emotional, I turned to this forum. I got the advice I needed to hear from veterans who had been in my shoes. I needed to chill out and just let myself recover in my own time. It helped relieve a lot of pressure I had been putting on myself. On Day 6 I saw my family doctor and he said the same thing.

Since then each day has been getting better and better. I've been able to eat* and drink a little bit more each day, and my emotional state is much better. I feel like I made the right decision in having the surgery... it was the one I needed to make in order to change my life and build a happier and (most importantly) healthier future. It's far from easy, but I know it will be worth it.

*Please note: I am through Humber. The guidelines I was given when leaving the hospital indicated that I should move from Clear Fluids to Full Fluids as soon as Day 2. Other Centres expect Clear Fluids only for the first 2 weeks.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

kimber291
on 2/1/14 1:27 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

((((Big Hugs))))

I am so glad your doing better now, your story brought tears to my eyes. I think it's because I   am so close to my date and I am feeling a little nervous at times. But I know this is for the best and that is what gets me through. 

What types do foods have you been eating? I am through Humber as well so I will be following the same guidelines. 

Thank once again for sharing. 

K

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

shoshanaApr2013
on 2/2/14 12:39 am
Hi K,

Yesterday was my "biggest" day yet. I was able to get in 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 of a single serving packet of oatmeal made with skim milk, 1 cup of skim milk, and a litre of water with Crystal Light. I'm going to try and start up'ing my protein intake with shakes and Greek yogurt etc as soon as my new stomach will accept them.

In the first days post-surgery getting the fluids in takes priority as you don't want to get dehydrated.

While you're in the hospital ask the RN to grab you some of the 30ml pill cups to take home. Initially I could barely do 30ml every 15 minutes but now I can do 60ml, so I pre-pour two cups at the beginning of every 15 minute period and sip my way through them. It ensures that I'm getting in as much hydration as I can without over-sipping. Pretty much all of my waking hours are spent sipping!

Good luck with your surgery and recovery! Please keep us posted.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Maricw
on 2/1/14 1:47 pm - Oshawa, Canada

So much helpful info, it us really nice to know all the pain and emotions that might come our way....nice to know you are feeling much better.....

Referral - October 3-2013 /  Family Dr. Confirmed - October  31-2013 /  Orientation call - November 11-2013 / Orientation (HRRH) -November 25-2013 / 1st  Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh) - January 14-2014 /  SW/RN/RD - January 17-2014 / Dr Glazer March 25-2014/ 2nd Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh)- April 10-2014 / Surgery date - August 7-2014

aamber02
on 2/1/14 3:34 pm

I'm pre op (hopefully not for long) and have been loving your posts. Thanks for the information and keep moving forward, sounds like you've got a great mentality.

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/14 10:45 pm - Canada

Thanks for posting your experiences.  Look forward to more updates :)

taniagirlca
on 2/2/14 7:59 am

Thanks for sharing your experience, I am pre-op and it helps to hear other people's experiences, sounds like you are doing great :)

JJ_
on 2/2/14 5:07 pm

Welcome to the bench.

As you heal, the swelling externally and internally will diminish.  You will be able to eat and drink better.  After six months, you will wonder if you are alright as you can eat more than you could a couple of months before.  It is natural.  You could not subsist on the current diet long-term.  Good luck in your recovery.

Judy

joannebradford
on 2/3/14 6:26 am - Canada
Thank you for sharing. I have been on here over and over looking for detailed information. I love to hear the good stories with no complications but for someone who is also thru Humber and is going to see her surgeon this Thursday, I need to hear some of the not so good stories to be able to prepare myself better. You sound like your very brave and having this surgery is very brave. You just keep doing what your doing and I wish you the courage to keep at and be happy and healthy.
JO.

Joanne

Most Active
Recent Topics