Another question about poop

zillah
on 2/3/14 12:20 am

Sorry to have to ask this question but I am sometimes having difficulty and was hoping that someone could help me.  I had surgery Dec. 12, RNY to be specific.  I have regular B.M. daily or every other day sometimes when I have to go I am finding that the bowel muscles that propel the stool out are not helping me to go easily.  It is like birthing a baby.  I am exhausted after and I am not exagerating.  The stool is not hard or overly large.  I am taking stool softeners and I've found that laxatives do not work for me since I've had surgery probably because it's a muscle problem.  I have tried suppositories and they work but I can't tell when I need them and when I don't.  My question is has anyone else found that their bowel muscles have been lazy after this surgery and how long did it take before they became normal again? 

Zavz
on 2/3/14 12:45 am - Canada

I also had surgery on Dec 12 also and I am having the exact same problem, so I am looking forward to seeing the responses. I took MOM for the first month but didn't want to continue with it as I thought prolonged use couldn't be good. I finally broke down and had some more last night. I drink 2 litres of water a day and am taking the fibre supplement they have suggested.

Patm
on 2/3/14 1:07 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Two things have helped me. The first most important is drink a ton of water especially if taking stool softeners. They seem to make it worse if you do not drink enough. Also I now take a probiotic which seems to be helping.

Good luck. I have been where you are

zillah
on 2/3/14 1:39 am

It's good to know that this problem is not only happening to me.  It must be part of the healing process but it sure is annoying.  I drink about 10 cups of water a day but I'll try to get in more.  The stool is soft I sometimes can barely pu**** out my baring down muscles have gone on vacation!

lexxiblue
on 2/3/14 7:58 am
RNY on 01/11/12

i was 2 years out as of jan 11... i was always having issues with bm's until last april when i had emergency surgery for a twisted bowel! took out 30cm of intestines and ever since i've been pooping like a breeeze!! ok .. TMI you might think! well... at every support group meeting i was the one that biatched about bowel movements and not once did i hear anything at any support group meeting or any clinic meetings as well that i would be having any sort of difficulties! altho.. must say in august of my first year out a wonderful person at the burlington support group i attend told me about restoralax (mirolax in the states and much cheaper!) and i was taking it once a day with my premier shakes and it lessened the pain and made me regular! today i still plug the toilet even after 2 years out but ..hubby says better to plug the toilet then to keep me plugged! good luck to you! it will get better...

alysan
on 2/3/14 7:34 pm - Canada
I used to take Xenical and my BM's were always runny so I think my muscles became lax because I didn't have to use them for so long.  I found it very difficult when I came off of the Xenical to have normal BM's...the only thing that helped was a laxative every once in awhile because I would get (excuse the expression), bunged up. 

I think you just have to be patient and wait for things to normalize. 

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Gabygee
on 2/3/14 10:26 pm - Canada

Yes, you are absolutely right. Our BMs become a real issue for most of us, and the "laziness" you describe would be an apt description. Our poor intestines have been messed-with, and they need to re-learn their tasks.

I found a couple of things helped me (and until I was two years out, they were all that kept me "going")

1) Once or twice a week, I used an herbal laxative tea to clear me out forcefully. Took most of the morning, but I was empty.

2) Use stool softeners assiduously - even if it made runny stools, it was important to get it out.

3) Manually (using tissue of course) pressed on the perineum (the skin between your hoochie and your anus) when things got stuck. The gentle pressure helped the muscles "remember" their job. Thankfully this was not necessary too often - just when I got really blocked.

Good luck. It does get better.

Oh - one last thing - overdosing on fibre did NOT work for me at that time - it only made the stools very large and bulky, resulting in the childbirth process every time.

zillah
on 2/4/14 1:22 am

Thanks to everyone *****sponded to my question.  The advice was great and I will be following the advice that was given to me.  I feel better knowing that this is a common problem post surgery.

Foy
on 2/4/14 2:16 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

Your Iron supplement will bind you... evil evil evil, so water and all the other suggestions here are great. 

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics