Bulk Barn Protein Powder??

hmtmomof4
on 2/5/14 1:52 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Hi Guys!

Has anyone tried this protein powder? Im having SUCH a hard time with protein powders/shakes....all of the powders I have bought taste terrible and they don't dissolve properly...I'm not kidding that I have about 8 opened bottles of various powders that are all gross!  The premade ones I find waaaay too sweet. I was drinking Premier Protein but lately those have become very thick and gloppy/blobby. They are making me gag!

I bought some of the chocolate whey protein isolate last night from the bulk barn...and OMG, it's fantastic! It dissolves well and tastes great. Here are the stats on it: ...remember this is the nutritional info for 100g of powder...you only use 35g per shake:

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/other/chocolate-whey-pr otein-isolate.html?search=Whey+protein

Any reason not to use this?? I almost feel this is too good to be true! LOL

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/14 2:07 am

I use Strawberry Whey Isolate Protein from Popeys'. Was looking for lowest carbs and found it. I can't stomach vanilla or chocolate, so strawberry is pretty amazing.

http://www.popeyescanada.com/inf_allmax-IsoFLEX.php#.UvJ-X_u0Ros

zillah
on 2/5/14 2:12 am

I used it before surgery and really liked it.  I didn't know the nutritional value of it so I was afraid to use it after surgery in case of dumping.  Thanks for putting up the link for the nut. info.  It is low in calories, protein is good, no sugar or sugar alcohols.  Good I'll be getting it out to use again,  The info is for 3 servings of powder so I Divided the nut. info by 3 to get the single serving nut. info.  I also like their unflavoured protein isolate you can't taste it when you put it in things.  Thanks for your post I never even thought to check Bulk Barns site for info.

hmtmomof4
on 2/5/14 2:14 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Wow, this one looks good too....I've sunk soooo much money into powders that I'm afraid to buy more! lol My hubby will have a fit if I throw another bottle away! hahaha I realize now that the bulk barn one seems to be crazy high in fat....which I guess I'm OK with as I am the one who just discovered I am pregnant after the birth control patch failed for me even though I used it religiously.  I guess a bit more fat is OK for now.

I do have a Popeye's just down the street from me and I've been thinking about checking them out. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Northernlightsmom
on 2/5/14 3:27 am, edited 2/5/14 3:30 am - Canada

Hi, I was at Costco yesterday to pick up some Protein Powder for after surgery (next week hehehehe) and a costco employee overheard me talking with my sister about paying $48 for 2k of powder only to find out I hate the taste. He came over to us and told me not to think twice about trying it out and if I don't like it....Bring it back (no problem). He says they do it all the time and don't have an issue with it as it is part of their policy. That was really nice to know....so I bought the Kaizen whey isolate powder (40g/150 cal/35grams protein) for $48. It is sweetened with stevia and is vanilla ice cream flavour. It is pretty good. Thanks for the link for the bulk barn one....good to know.

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

LittleMiss2013
on 2/5/14 3:57 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I LIVE off the Unflavored protein powder from the Bulk Barn...it's all I use....except occasionally the chocolate one from the Bulk Barn.

I lean more towards the Unflavored one because it's a smidge higher in protein and I can "flavor" it however I want using Davinci syrups or fruit etc. so I can have different shakes without having to change my powder  I have read a LOT of protein powder labels and this one was the best I have found. Plus the added bonus of being able to buy as much or as little as you want is a bonus. I have been using it for 3 1/2 months and love it

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Patm
on 2/5/14 4:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

stats look good. I think a lot of people use this one.

Zizzler
on 2/5/14 12:28 pm

Since I found the bulk barn plain powder I have not bought any others.  I have a large assortment of flavourings so I just use it as a base for whatever I feel like.  I have not tried the chocolate but I think I will have to now - sounds yummy lol

Kimmiekat
on 2/5/14 9:57 pm

I'm going to have to look for the unflavored protien powder at bulk barn.  I wonder how it tastes if you add it to soups ect?? I'm picky on the powders too and have wasted tons of money over the years. Either too sweet or powdery tasting. I like the Isoflex brands and can tolerate them the best. Oh, and congrats on the baby.....guess you'll have to change your name to hmtmomof5?? 

Good luck, Kim

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

Zmimshen
on 2/6/14 1:40 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13

Thee unflavored kind is the only protein powder I bought that I could tolerate.

I usually add berries a bit of milk and a banana and with enough sweetener and lemon juice you can barely taste the horrible horrible protein powder after taste.

I resorted to this one because I can only stand the taste of sweet & low and all of the flavored powders have sucralose in them that I can't stand.

Another benefit is that I could control the amount I got and did not need to buy a gigantic jar that is the size of my entire kitchen

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

Most Active
Recent Topics