hypoglycemia

Nanato2
on 2/19/14 8:28 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Well it looks like I may have hypoglycaemia.

I have read on here about others getting it and never thought I would but I talked to them last night at TWH and it sounds like it to them. So I guess I will be getting a glucose monitor to check and will be purchasing some Dextrose tablets to keep on me. 

I have had a few episode of not feeling well, dizziness etc but thought nothing of it, well on Saturday I had a episode that made me very scared and afraid. I woke up had a boiled egg, water and off to the gym I go like I always do did my 1 hour spinning class and during the cool down when I got off the bike I started to feel dizzy, clammy, whole body shaking, heart pounding and trouble breathing. I had to get out of the room for air and went out into the gym while hubby wiped down bikes. I then had to call him as I felt I was going to pass out and was sliding down the wall he took me to sit down and drink some water and it started to go away. The rest of the day I was not feeling well and a little shaky was hungry all day and was eating more than normal. 

At night lately I have also been waking up sweating and mouth very dry and going to bathroom more then normal I thought it was due to my age that my menopause symptoms had come back but they say these are also symptoms of hypoglycemia.

So they ave recommended that before I work out from now on that I am to have some carbs, monitor my blood regularly and keep the tablets with me.

Funny thing I just had my one year follow up and everything including blood was great I just find it strange that I have noticed that after the one year mark some people seem to get things happen to them.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

kellybelly333
on 2/20/14 12:17 am - Toronto, Canada

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. It's not fun at all. For working out. If I get up, get dressed and run for under one hour, I am able to do it on an empty stomach (now....in the beginning of my hypoglycemia, it was different.....but I was at a different level of fitness). But if I wait too long after getting up, then I have to eat, and then wait. I usually eat half a banana with peanut butter. A carb only will not do well for me, it has to be a protein-carb mix. Working out longer than a class gets into a different realm of things.

I also have protein/carb snack before bed. I don't wake up thirsty and sweating anymore. :-) 

Good luck!!

Kelly

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics