OPTIFAST

providence
on 3/1/14 9:06 am
RNY on 03/20/14

Hi All, I am on day 3 of Optifast and really struggling. Not in terms of wanting to "cheat", however in terms of being hungry all of the time. I do not find that I ever feel full on the OPTI..even directly after drinking one. Has anyone else struggled with this? Does it get better? I had a sugar free jello, which nearly gagged me because I don't like the texture of Jello, never have. Does it get any better? Thanks all! :)

highlandbear
on 3/1/14 9:14 am - Canada

Are you drinking your water. I was never hungry when I was on. Need to drink it will help

providence
on 3/1/14 9:39 am
RNY on 03/20/14

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am drinking the water! I guess it has been so long since I really knew what hunger felt like - not liking it. But, I can honestly say I have not felt full and have had deep hunger pangs all day each of the 3 days I have been on this. Maybe this is just the way my body is reacting. Who knows?

aidan
on 3/1/14 10:00 am - Canada

Hang in there! I think on day 4 was when I went into ketosis and it felt amazing. the hunger goes away not necessarily cravings but you should feel more full.

shoshanaApr2013
on 3/1/14 10:05 am
It does get better!

Here's some info from webmd:

"Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.
ANSWER: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan."

You're resetting your appetite thermostat, which will take some time. I found that things really started improving after Day 5.

Some people also add less water to their Opti and make it more like a pudding. That might help. Be sure to be sipping water in between shakes too (good practice for your new "sipping" lifestyle). You'll be visiting the bathroom a lot more but it should help.

Good luck and hang in there! Keep your eyes on the prize!!!

P.S. Some Centres only allow Jello, some broth, etc as "extras". Humber allows 2 cups per day of cucumber, green pepper, celery, lettuce and/or broccoli (no dips, sauces, or dressings of course). I didn't always eat 2 cups but the crunch was sometimes a welcome change. I don't know why the Centres are so different in their policies... we're all in the same province, so I would suggest you use your own discretion and adopt the Humber policy if you feel you need to.

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 10:23 am

it's not for the purposes to shrink your stomach but to shrink your liver as it is in the way and they have to be careful around it

providence
on 3/1/14 10:45 am
RNY on 03/20/14

Thank you all for your responses to my question/statement.

I am quite aware of the purpose of this Liquid "diet". However, it does not make it any less difficult - regardless of the purpose. I am simply asking others on this forum for suggestions and/or words of wisdom.

I think the above  poster was just giving me some information to think about as to why I am struggling right now. Not intimating that this was for the purpose of shrinking the stomach.

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 10:48 am, edited 3/1/14 10:48 am

it does get better after three days, that's true. I was fasting for three weeks long time ago and completely forgot I was even doing it after three days. I drank a lot of herbal teas with a touch of lemon and honey and ate about 4 tomatoes a day. That was it. I can't stand vanilla or chocolate flavours in anything, so I am really not looking forward to OPTI myself. I would do the same thing, broth, tea, veggies

providence
on 3/1/14 11:11 am
RNY on 03/20/14

So Jaded, I wish you well with the Opti. You may find that you go through with no problems, a great deal of people do. Apparently there are a variety of sugar free flavourings and such that can be added to help with the taste. I actually don't mind the taste all that much. I did add decaf coffee to the Vanilla at work yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I think Starbucks has some nice flavours to choose from. I haven't made it in there yet, not sure if I will bother. Best of luck to you. I am trying to take it one shake at a time, but man it is tough!

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 11:15 am

thanks, good luck to you too.

Most Active
Recent Topics