so confused about iron

Katie M.
on 3/6/14 7:24 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I've been told to start taking an iron supplement - the iron in my prenatal vitamins isn't enough. The nurse at TWH told me to take ferrous gluconate. But doing a bit of research on my own, it seems like it's hard on the stomach, is constipating and you can't take it within certain time frames of other things like dairy (although there's no mention of that on the bottle I got...) but I can't seem to figure out which iron supplement is actually GOOD for us to take. The search function here keeps leading me to lengthy discussions with no real conclusions, or brand names that are only available in the states or online ($$!) 

What iron do you take? I already deal with constipation on a regular basis so am trying to avoid that if possible, but maybe it's not with iron? So confused!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

mynderella
on 3/6/14 7:54 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Katie,

Do a search for "Leona dove". She is a wealth of knowledge about iron post op.

Myndy

Katie M.
on 3/6/14 9:36 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks so much! I'm surprised her iron post didn't come up in my search. Lots of good info :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

highlandbear
on 3/6/14 8:16 am - Canada

There are reasons why the clinic will tell you to take certain things and you need to listen to them. I take the ferrous and yes I had problems with constipation and took care of it by eating some prunes everyday. It does not mater what iron pill you take you can get constipation. If you have concerns about taking the iron pill that they recommended than call and talk to them.  I have taken it with milk and have had no problem. Remember you can not believe everything you read on the net.

Katie M.
on 3/6/14 9:43 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

True, not everything on the internet is gospel. And I definitely do listen to what the clinic tells me - went home and bought a bottle of ferrous gluconate. But I like to know what I'm taking, possible side effects etc and was surprised at all the negative opinions I read about different iron types. And confused about why there wasn't a standard type of iron recommended across the board. I do have an email in to the nurse and dietician so perhaps they will shed some light. 

highlandbear
on 3/6/14 9:54 am - Canada

Do email them and ask them questions. They will be very willing to answer them. I do say eat some prunes in the morning it helps.

kellybelly333
on 3/6/14 10:45 pm - Toronto, Canada

I brought the information of FeraMax to TWH and they were fine with me taking it and they had heard it gives good results. It is easy on my tummy and helps with my constipation issues. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Katie M.
on 3/6/14 11:28 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks :) I think constipation is the most important part for me, as I can't seem to get regular as it is. I've emailed TWH about Fermax, we'll see what they say!

Leanne1
on 3/6/14 11:19 pm, edited 3/6/14 11:19 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I do alot of research before I do anything that the net says. 

BUT, Leona does this Iron stuff for a living, She has helped me greatly and I trust her immensely.

I'm not saying to go against TWH.

I am with them as well. They also know that I take FeraMax150 x2/day and are fine with it. (I take one in the morning with a vit C, 1000mg/capsule and 3/4c OJ then again at bedtime)  

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Katie M.
on 3/6/14 11:32 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I don't want to go against TWH either, or trust everything the net says - research is key, and talking to the clinic. I have an email in to them so we'll see what they say, but everything I'm reading about Feramax sounds pretty good. Much better than the gluconate. 

Most Active
Recent Topics