Hair today - gone tomorrow!

Hennagirliegirl
on 3/11/14 10:57 pm - Canada

I'm just over 4 months post op. The dreaded hair loss seems to have appeared overnight. The tub was covered after my shower the other day. I am a sad sad woman.

After some research I have purchased 3 supplements to add to my pile. I'm taking zinc 50 mg twice a day, biotin 1000 mcg twice a day, and florasil 9.4 mg twice a day.

I've called HRH to talk to the dietician about this but haven't gotten through yet. Regardless, I've started.

I was really dreading this, kept my protein high to help prevent....to no avail

Terri

Test

Sunny123
on 3/11/14 11:15 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I hair ya! I am just over 3 months and am losing gobs of it - on a lighter note - I am lighter!!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

northernblueyes
on 3/11/14 11:35 pm - Canada
RNY on 09/13/13

I so hair you on that one.

I had very thick hair going into surgery and have loss about 50% of it's thickness.

I too considered taking biotin, but was told biotin helps hair regrowth ALL OVER, not just on our heads. LMAO.

SO I've decided to let nature take it's course, 6 months post op and hoping to see some regrowth within next month or so.

Ref sent April 2012 - Orientation May 18, 2012 - Blood Work & NP October 9th, 2012 - H.Pylori  December 2012, Tested Positive-Nut & Beh December 6th 2012 - 2nd Nut. February 7th 2013- Pulmonary Function Test Feb 19 2013- Stress test Mar 7,2013-Sleep test March 11,2013- Abd.Us. April 8,2013-Angiogram April 23,2013-Pre-Op Class May 22,2013-Scope May 24,2013-Meet Surgeon May 30,2013-Surgery FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 13.

Needanewbeginning
on 3/12/14 12:27 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Ah yes, hair loss. Totally sucks. I have been taking biotin and florasil since about a month before my wls. I was very hopeful. Well, for me, hasn't helped one bit. It doesn't add to hair growth anywhere else on my body, not that I notice. I do have to get rid of a few hairs on my upper lip and chinny *****hin, but I had that problem long before surgery. Truthfully, for me taking these products hasnt increased hair in these areas (which I was truly worried about).

It still freaks me out. I have lost about half my hair, it's slowed down considerably though. Try not to sweat it, I know its awful to clean out your drain and hairbrushes daily, but it will stop, it will grow back. Just remember, it's all part of this journey and look how well you have done so far! 

Annette 😄👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/14 1:42 am

I too am going through this. I take biotin 1000mg and zinc 50mg as per the nutritionist from twh and now my hairloss seems to be slowing down not as much as before but still there.

Hennagirliegirl
on 3/12/14 9:15 am - Canada

Thanks for your responses, I am going to continue with my regimen and hope the new growth hits my head instead of my chin!

Terri

Test

dragongirl_76
on 3/12/14 11:32 am

Im almost at 6mos and mine has bern coming out at an alarming rate for about the past month. I estimate ive lost about 50%. Good thing i had thick hair to begin with, but it does still make me sad.

Pamela.S.
on 3/12/14 11:54 am - Canada

My daughter lost her hair due to chemo, and while it's grown in nicely, she's got a bald spot in the front of her head.  Amazingly, what hides it best is short hair.  She's only 24, so hair is still an important thing for her, but when she let it get long, the bald spot was more noticeable.  We mentioned it to the hairdresser and she explained that when hair is long, it pulls and separates, so the thinning, or bald areas are more visible.  If you have long hair, maybe it's time for a makeover!

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

joannebradford
on 3/14/14 6:58 am - Canada
Oh girl friend I feel your pain. I have not had my surgery yet (may 1st) but I suffer from female pattern baldness already. I am trying to ready myself for prob being very close to completely bald. Just try and keep your chin up and hope that in a little while it will grow back. xo

Joanne

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/14 7:05 am

I thought it was my dog shedding on my bathroom floor.But it was me.

Most Active
Recent Topics