OMG I think I broke my butt

Laurie C.
on 3/29/14 11:19 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Good morning all:

Last Monday night I had a middle of the night low blood sugar and of course I passed out.  My husband helped me and I got all re-organized but when I woke up in the morning I had a goose-egg on my forehead which is now a beautiful shade of green and my butt hurt big  time.  I've been just giving my butt time to heal but I really think I may have fractured my sacrum.  I tried walking home on Friday and had pain down my right thigh and only went two town blocks.  This pain is a burning (circular) discomfort above my ****yx.  I also found a pretty bruise on my arm and. I landed on carpet.

Anybody got any great ideas??  I really don't want to go to emerg and be questioned about why I fell.  I'm using Tylenol #1's and think I'll try heat.  It feels better when I'm lying down but this worries me because people who sit on their "fat asses just get fatter asses"

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Nanato2
on 3/29/14 11:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Laurie my daughter broke her ****yx after WLS and it was serious. She had to take it easy for a very long time and the doctors in emerg gave her pain killers and anti-inflammatories. I would go to emerg because you may have damage something else as well.  

Also are you checking your blood surgery regularly as I also recently had episode of low blood sugar and it was very serious and now the doctors at TWH have requested I monitor and keep some sugar close by because you can have seizures etc. from low blood sugar. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

NewMe2.0
on 3/30/14 1:51 am, edited 3/30/14 1:54 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi Laurie,

I  broke my ****yx in 2 places (and it shifted)  years ago and  and subsequently had it removed a few years later...something I don't recommend as I am actually worse now. 

Best thing I can recommend is to try and avoid sitting...(sounds easy until you realize how many things actually require you to sit..)..try placing rolled towels around you to lift that area off any surface it has contact with...some people find using the donut helps (but if you are bruised around the whole area the donut might push on the bruise..). I tend to sit on my side with my legs beside me,so only my thigh and one butt cheek touch the couch etc.

Going to emerg or the doctor may help if you require pain meds and anti inflammatories, but if it is broken, there is nothing you can really do (as they don't do this surgery anymore, or at least they didn't a few years ago...I had to go out of province...)But if the pain is extreme, you might want to go so they can rule out a disc injury. The pain down your thigh concerns me, as this could be a disc issue ( I also herniated my disc), or you  may have   injured your sacroiliac joint.

Ice would be your best friend right now to get rid of swelling. 

I also use a chiropractor religiously, getting ultrasound and the ifc (interferential current)(like a tens machine)...which helps the swelling and releases muscle tension etc.

You said lying down feels better, so you can try and lie on your back, put an ice pack on it and put pillows under your knees to lift the pressure off your back....this will help relieve the pressure/pain  down your leg as well.

I hope the pain eases off soon, but if not please get it checked out.

take care of yourself,

Vicky

KristieA
on 3/30/14 7:41 am - Orillia, Canada

I broke mine last summer.  Not a pretty sight. Ice, Tylenol and sitting on a donut type ring is all I could do to get through the day. It took about 8 weeks to go a day without really feeling the pain.  Sitting and shifting from cheek to cheek is all you can really do. You may want to get it checked out. Not much they can do for it from what I know.

Hope you feel better soon. 

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Laurie C.
on 3/30/14 9:23 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Thanks for your comments and replies.  I think that if by Tuesday it's not feeling much better I'll go to the Doctor and see about a CT scan.  From what I've read these fractures don't always show up on X-ray.

I am finding the sitting on one cheek with my legs sideways is more comfortable or leaning forward while on a chair is helpful.  This is not desperate pain but definitely uncomfortable.  Tylenol #1's are my friend (3 at a time).

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Most Active
Recent Topics