Help and support please

needmylifeback
on 4/12/14 6:27 am

Hi all

I just had my bypass on April 8 th at TWH. I was kept in an extra day because I could not pass gas. 

Since day two, I have felt alone, sad and scared. I do suffer from anxiety, but if you knew me you would not expect it from this    

For over a year I have studied ,  read, chatted with ppl on here and questioned my Dr.  I felt ready and excited for this!!!

Now I cry, push my family away and wonder if I made a right decision

i am scared of complications and just feel overwhelmed

i thought I was so ready for this and am so mad at myself for feeling this way. Can someone please offer some nice advice please???

Ref sent March 27th. Orientation June 27th 2013. Nurse Consult Aug 19. Social-worker and nutrition class Sept 3  SLEEP study Sept 3rd  Doctor Consult Sept 27th...canceled, now Nov 11. Social worker (2ndappt) Oct24   Dietitian Oct 24  Physio appt Dec 13  and final windsorappt post op class Dec 19 Surgery April 8th

finallyfree2beme
on 4/12/14 6:52 am

You just had surgery 4days ago! Some of what you are feeling is just the pain talking, it takes time to feel bettr, gas and not being able to lay down to sleep properly or turn or get up. Also losing weight releases stored hormones from our fat cells, that too can affect your mood. Be gentle to your family even if they annoy you right now, most things may but it will pass. Try your best to get your water in and protein, rest, rest and rest. Good luck Hun.

on 4/12/14 7:20 am - Canada

Dont be scared you did it and believe me you made the right decision.  It is normal to have some feelings of sadness after all you have walked away from your best friend,  your companion who has been by your side with you through all your highs and lows that entity that has led you guided you and most times pushed you to over eat.  It is also normal to experience some fear.  Can I do this will I succeed?  What if I fall back.  We all have felt this a time or two.  You are strong and have a **** lode of courage.   Look how far you have come!  Dont look at the big picture.  Take each day one at a time.  Follow each instruction one at a time.  You've got this.  Embrace your family they love you they just want to help you so tell them.  We are all nervous about complications but so far there are none.  Try to relax and get to know the new you.  Always remember you are part of this family and you are never alone.  Write any time.  My name is Val its been my pleasure to chat with you.  :-)

taniagirlca
on 4/12/14 8:10 am

Sorry to hear that you are feeling sad :(. I haven't had surgery yet but that could well be me too, thinking of you, hang in there !

Catw
on 4/12/14 8:14 am - Arnprior, Canada

Any time someone goes through something that significantly changes your life (birth, death, loss, etc) there is a disruption in routine.  With anxiety, you are used to a routine and a way of doing things.  The emotions that you are feeling are normal, for you and everyone else.  And your anxiety is pushing it a little higher.  No matter how much you prepare yourself, it is scary.  Each of us go through this differently.  And as the hormones in your body are released through losing weight, your emotions will be a little off.

My advice is, take this one day at a time, or one hour at a time if you need to.  Follow the rules, and keep talking to everyone.  You do need support, and you will find that here, but if you give your family a chance, I`m sure that they`ll be there for you too.  You will do this, I know you will, I believe in you.

My son has GAD, and I`ve been helping him through a bunch of ups and downs.  If you need someone to talk to, PM me.  If you think your anxiety is starting to take over, talk to a counselor or get refered to a psychologist.  They`ll help you get back in control.

You are not alone in this.

Cathy

amerbert
on 4/12/14 11:49 pm

Hi!

I had my surgery on April 4th at TWH. I was checking out as you were checking in!

It is very normal to question the procedure. I distinctly remember lying in my hospital bed thinking, "OMG! What have I done? Will my life ever be normal again?" I still have those same fears and questions. This is a MAJOR life change. Everything is new. In some ways, I feel like a baby, exploring new things, new food, new textures and wondering how my body will react. Three days after surgery, I had a meltdown, yelled at my husband and kids and acted like a total jerk. From that experience, I learned to take pain medication as needed and not to be a hero. I felt that taking medication was a sign of weakness. Trust me, it is not!

People have already starting asking me, "Do you have any regrets having the surgery?" How in the hell do I know? I'm only a week out! I always reply, "Ask me in a year!" because it is too soon to judge. I have a feeling that I will not have regrets.

It is good to be concerned about complications and to be aware of changes in your body, but please don't let it consume you. Try to keep busy and pick up your daily routine where you left it.

You are ready for this!!! Trust in yourself!!! Grab the bull by the horns and make him squeal!!!

needmylifeback
on 4/12/14 11:49 pm

Thanks everyone

Your replies really made me feel better. I very much appreciate it

Ref sent March 27th. Orientation June 27th 2013. Nurse Consult Aug 19. Social-worker and nutrition class Sept 3  SLEEP study Sept 3rd  Doctor Consult Sept 27th...canceled, now Nov 11. Social worker (2ndappt) Oct24   Dietitian Oct 24  Physio appt Dec 13  and final windsorappt post op class Dec 19 Surgery April 8th

Patm
on 4/13/14 6:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I do not have anything to add that others have not already said. Just know that we are here for you. And as Cathy said pm her or me or anyone else you need to. If you have a support group make sure you go.

shoshanaApr2013
on 4/13/14 8:29 am
You're not alone!

About 3 or 4 days after my surgery I had a bit of a breakdown. I cried, panicked, and doubted my decision to have the surgery. I felt completely overwhelmed.

Like others have written, you're going through a very emotional time. Your body is making a big adjustment, you have new medications in your system, you're in pain or discomfort, and the reality of starting a new lifestyle is finally real... it's a lot to take in all at once.

The good news is that this too shall pass! As you recover and get into a more stable routine I'm sure that things will improve. The first little while can be difficult as you move through the different food phases but I assure you that it gets MUCH, MUCH easier!

Hang in there and try to focus on your recovery. Listen to your body and follow it's timeline... everyone is different.

You got this!!!

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

LittleMiss2013
on 4/13/14 9:20 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

It's normal. Your emotions will go up and down many times. Just remember....the road to success is almost never a straight line......but you WILL get there ♥

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics