ricotta cheese

on 5/12/14 1:28 pm - Canada

Can anyone give me some ideas for ricotta cheese?  Im supposed to eat it but I dont like it plain??? Thanks  Val

kimber291
on 5/12/14 1:58 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

What about mixing it with fruit?  Pureed fruit?

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Kimmiekat
on 5/12/14 2:17 pm

I've heard some mix it with vanilla greek yogurt and davinci/torani sugar free syrups like caramel or chocolate. I haven't tried it personally yet, but I just bought some ricotta cheese and plan on trying it soon! Check out some low carb/low sugar food blogs, they have tons of ideas on them! (All day I dream about food and 24/7 Lowcarb diner are great!)

Kim

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

kristaeb
on 5/12/14 9:30 pm

Hi Val, if you go on The World According To Egg Face site she has some good ideas..Not sure how far out you are but i like her Zucchini roll ups ..They have ricotta in them..Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

finallyfree2beme
on 5/12/14 9:34 pm

Try the ricotta bake, you can search on this site but basically ricota mixed with an egg, onion powder, garlic. Powder, marinara sauce on top with shredded mozerella baked in the oven. If you can eat meat you can add a bit of that too, like cooked ground chicken, turkey or beef.

kimber291
on 5/12/14 10:02 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Oh boy that sounds yummy!! 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Lemily
on 5/12/14 10:30 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

I as well hate ricotta cheese alone. However, two ways I eat it: First,  I brown some ground beef, throw some marinara sauce on it and put like a 0.5c of cheese in the middle and put the beef/sauce on top. This meal actually makes me NOT miss pasta, and I can make one meal for my family.

Second - i made strawberry ricotta ice cream - holy moly is it good. I LOVE ice cream and I found this to be a really great replacement and the best strawberry ice cream i have ever had. You can probably get about 10 servings out of this.

Ingredients - homemade strawberry ice cream

• 2 cups frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup Polly-O or Calabro Ricotta - I use part skim and these are the best brands
  • 1/4 cup Splenda or 2 tablespoons Truvia
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla

Instructions

Place strawberries, ricotta, sweetener and vanilla into food processor (unfortunately a blender does not work) and pulse and blend until a very silky smooth 'ice cream' eventually forms. Remove the blade and pop into the freezer for ten to twelve minutes to firm up just a little then serve immediately in frozen glasses.

I found this recipe as well. I have not tried it yet.

Ingredients - sugar free cannoli dip

• One 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese - Calabro is best hands down, Polly-o very good
  • 2/3 cup Splenda granular
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon sugar-free Jell-O Instant Vanilla Pudding powder
  • Shaved sugar free chocolate-optional
  • ½ cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts-optional

Instructions

Puree the ricotta with the Splenda, vanilla, cinnamon, and pudding powder in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Transfer the mixture to a medium zip lock freezer bag and chill before serving. Snip off ½ inch of one corner of the bag, and using it as a pastry bag, squeeze a swirl of the cannoli cream into a martini glass or small dessert dish. Lightly sprinkle with shaved chocolate and pistachio nuts, if using; serve immediately.

Monkey_doodle
on 5/12/14 10:35 pm - NY

Cocoa and splenda- tastes like a dessert that way - I think I learned that from a low-carb recipe somewhere. 

DS surgery- 3-29-11
White Dove
on 5/12/14 10:54 pm - Warren, OH

I keep things very simple.  Here are two things I do with it.

1  Put a scoop of ricotta in a bowl, pour some spaghetti sauce over it and microwave.

2.  Mix with some Splenda, vanilla, and add a few mini chocolate chips for cannoli filling taste.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

on 5/12/14 11:32 pm - Canada

Thanks I will try it 

Most Active
Recent Topics