Sweet Kale Salad?

Cottagenanny
on 6/2/14 8:56 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Lots of people are saying they are eating sweet kale salad, can anyone tell me what that is?

Thanks,  Holly

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

Karen M.
on 6/2/14 10:50 pm, edited 6/2/14 10:55 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Hi Holly,

Sweet kale salad (the one I eat anyway) is actually a bagged salad by Eat Smart - it says Sweet Kale Salad and 7 Super Foods on the bag. It has kale (obviously lol), cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, dried cranberries,  pumpkin seeds, and chicory. It. Is. Fabulous. But not to be eaten in huge quantities - high on the carbs, sugar if you eat the enclosed poppyseed dressing, etc. You could always use your own low-carb variety - I have.

Here's a link: http://www.eatsmartsalads.com/sweet-kale-salad/12oz-size-bag -sweet-kale-salad-kit/

Karen :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sunny123
on 6/3/14 8:10 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Thanks for asking this question.  I was wondering the same thing. Good info Karen. I will look for it at stores.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Karen M.
on 6/3/14 8:58 am - Mississauga, Canada

Is it wrong that every time I eat it I think to myself, "Gawd this would taste good with some crumbled bacon in it." ?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

momjan
on 6/3/14 10:55 am - Canada

I posted a homemade Kale and Quinoa Salad Recipe; I will repeat it here for you.  It is ADDICTIVE!!!!!

Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing

Serves 6

For the salad and toppings:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
Salt
1/2 cup red quinoa
1 small clove garlic, smashed
1 bunch lacinato kale (3/4 to 1 pound, with stems)
1/2 heaping cup whole dates
1/2 cup roasted salted whole almonds

For the dressing:
1 clementine or mandarin orange, juiced
1/2 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a wide sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sprinkle lightly with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has darkened to a toasty brown and smells caramelized — about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. You should have about 1/2 cup of cooked onions. (This can be done up to 3 days ahead of time, and the onions can be refrigerated.)

Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Add it and the garlic to a 2-quart saucepan set over medium-high heat and sauté for about a minute both to dry the grain and toast it lightly. Add 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat to low; cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the lid on for an additional 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff with a fork.

While the onions are caramelizing and the quinoa is cooking, slice off the muddy bottoms of the kale stems, then slice the rest of the bunch into fine ribbons. Wash thoroughly and spread on a towel to dry.

Pit the dates and slice them into quarters. Roughly chop the almonds, by which I mean try to chop each almond into just two or three pieces, no more.

Make the dressing: Whisk the juices together (you should have about 1/4 cup total of juice, or a little less). Whisk in the maple syrup and olive oil. The dressing will be emulsified but still thin. Stir about 2 tablespoons of the dressing into the quinoa after it finishes cooking.

Assemble the salad: Toss the kale with all of the still-warm quinoa and the caramelized onions. Toss with about half the dressing and taste. Add the remaining dressing if desired, then toss with the dates and almonds. Taste a bite; if it needs more salt, add it now, as well as fresh pepper if desired.

This salad keeps very well; the kale gets more tender as it sits in the dressing. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.

Recipe Note

Be sure to use a leafy kale in this salad, as opposed to a curly. How to know the difference? Lacinato kale (also called dinosaur, Tuscan, or black kale) comes in bundled sheaves of leaves, like chard or collards. Curly kale looks more like a big bouquet of floral filler, with ruffled edges, and it is too tough for this recipe. (I find chewing raw curly kale to be like taking bites of shrubbery, personally, so I usually cook it.)

Cottagenanny
on 6/3/14 12:53 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Thanks everyone for the info, I'll have to try some.  :)

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

Tina G.
on 6/4/14 4:17 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

So you can also buy sweet kale salad at Costco, there it comes in two choices each slightly different. one os with apples the other is what everyone is talking about. It's really good.

birdiegirl
on 6/4/14 7:25 pm

Didn't know about the one with apples!!!....sounds wonderful.....I am hoping its less calories vs the one with dried cranberries.....( though I love it)

Going to try the apple one....thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 8:46 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Buy the same one, throw the cranberries and pepitas in the pantry and dice up a fresh apple and throw on a few toasted pecans.  Or do like I do, buy the salad once and then make my own with fresh ingredients :)

birdiegirl
on 6/4/14 9:08 pm

...well of course that is what you would do...lol....I am lazy so if I can buy it prepared I am happy.....

Love the idea though of putting the fresh apple and toasted pecans.....what dressing do you use?

Most Active
Recent Topics