sugar, omg

Katie M.
on 6/15/14 1:05 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I've been so cautious about reading labels and sticking to things with less than 10g of sugar - until this morning. For some reason I thought I could have some maple syrup on a "healthy" pancake while at Father's Day breakfast. NOPE. I've never felt so sick in my life, even worse than when chicken got stuck in the early days. I didn't even have that much really, but that much pure sugar sent me right over the edge in to no-man's land. I pushed the limit and my body is reminding me that we don't push those limits any more!! Oh man. Newbie's out there - you might be tempted to see how much is too much down the line and I am here to tell you DON'T DO IT!! Not unless you want to lie in bed for two hours wishing someone would drop a piano on you!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Kittykatt1329
on 6/15/14 1:11 am - Alfred, Canada

Hope you are feeling better, I have been warned and will stay away.. lol.. I'm 3 weeks post op, now on soft food, not one issue,  I did read somewhere on here that someone just one week post op put maple syrup on there oatmeal and thought Omg are u nuts. 

Cathy

Katie M.
on 6/15/14 1:12 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Good to hear you are not having any issues! And yes - maple syrup at one week is just silliness! I can't even defend myself for trying some at eight months out, must have been temporary insanity or my old sugar habit trying to creep back in. It was definitely a wake up call, that's for sure! No maple syrup ever!!! (For me, anyway!)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Onward and
Downward

on 6/18/14 1:49 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Ha! I think we all have to do it once or twice to learn our lesson. (I'm not laughing at you, by the way, just laughing at your description of wanting a piano to fall on you. Man, have I been there!)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Kwelbru
on 6/15/14 10:40 pm - Canada

That was me .... I have maple syrup on my oatmeal everyday since I came home from the hospital

...E.D Smith's No Sugar Added Syrup.

Its great .  You can find it in the local grocery right beside the real stuff. 

SURGERY @ HRRH with Dr STARR on May 23/14 >>ORIENTATION WEIGHT 372lbs // OPTIFAST START WEIGHT 334lbs // SURGERY WEIGHT  319 lbs  // 3 MOS POST-OP 261lbs

Kittykatt1329
on 6/15/14 11:33 pm - Alfred, Canada

Oh ok, I was wondering about that when I read it I thought if

I used maple syrup would put me in bed rest for the day 😁

I will have to try as boy my oatmeal is bland

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 6/16/14 1:56 am - Toronto, Canada

Just an FYI....NSA stuff still causes some people to dump. I dumped on it early out (the syrup mentioned above) as well as NSA ice cream. Horrible dumping on that one. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Kittykatt1329
on 6/16/14 2:30 am - Alfred, Canada

Thanks I will keep that in mind 

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/14 3:12 am

So sorry that happened to you. I find the things I used to love are way to sweet for me ..even to just taste a little bit... My whole taste buds have changed. I used to love chocolate and milk... dont even want to think about it any more. Hope you feel better... keep smiling

new_me180
on 6/15/14 4:32 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Hope you feel better Katie. I've always been a sugar addict and up until now, i'm scared to test the waters. I had very strong cravings early on but now, they are kind of tapering off. I guess we have to test the waters and see what our limits are.

MMMM, pancakes sound good though....

Most Active
Recent Topics