milk of magnesia not working?!

michellecowles
on 6/25/14 8:29 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

So im going on my 4th day of being constipated. Last night I took milk of magnesia to get things moving but nothing happened?! I took 4 tsps..which is the highest recommended dose. Is MOM something I have to take more than once for it to work? Or should I be using a suppository??

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

4-Jane
on 6/25/14 9:50 pm - Canada

I have read that some use it every hour on the hour until it does work, and I believe they are using one tablespoon.  I can't see a supository hurting any, either, but I would steady the course with the MOM ,hope thing get moving for you

Respectfully Jane
Catw
on 6/25/14 10:51 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Sometimes MOM does need a couple doses to work.  One thing you can try is a Ducolax (sp?) suppository.  When I was having problems for a bit after surgery, it worked like a charm.  Not saying it will be a fun experience in the bathroom, but it will help.

If this re-occurs, you may need to look at prevention methods as well.

cathy

Carbasics
on 6/25/14 11:01 pm - Etobicoke, Canada

Hey girly, how are things going with you? I see you are constipated as well lol I'm on the same boat as you :( I think I'm going to buy milk of magnesia to get things rolling, hope you feel better and that your able to do number 2 best of luck 

Referral sent- January 31/14 Referral received- February 14/14 Information Session TWH- April 2/14 Social Worker- April 7/14 Nurse PractitionerApril 7/14 Psychometry- April 22/14 Nutrition ClassMay 6/14 Nutrition Assessment- May 16/14 Meet Surgeon - June 5/14 Surgery Date - June 23/14

kimber291
on 6/25/14 11:40 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Carbasics...your only 4 days out today! Your not constipated.  I wouldn't force the issue by taking a laxative you may end up hurting yourself.  I went 6 days before I had my first 'small' BM after surgery. 

Michelle try the senokot.  I take 3 at bedtime and by morning things are moving.  Did the nurse not tell you that at Humber? She told me not to by the MOM. Said it was a waste of time and money. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

michellecowles
on 6/25/14 11:53 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

@kimber would I have to crush the senokot pill? The nurse told me nothing! lol

I took senokot when i was on the optifast and it worked. the milk of magnesia is chalky and disgusting. i am getting my fiber and protein so I'm not sure what the issue is. 

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

Monica M.
on 6/25/14 11:57 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

take senokot, if that's worked for you before. The pills are pretty small, aren't they? you can take pills the size of a mini m&m.

are you constipated? or have you just not had a bowel movement? these are two different things. If you feel "full" and like you have to go, but can't, then you're constipated. If you just haven't had a bm, then you just haven't had a bm. Remember, the volume of your intake is WAY down right now, so there might not be enough there to make you need to go.

michellecowles
on 6/26/14 12:43 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

no no its definitely constipation.. ive been feeling live ive had to have a BM for the last day or so, and nothing.. gas is coming out though.

I just dont want to wait too long and end up in emergency. 

-Michelle

Monica M.
on 6/26/14 1:48 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

then take something that you know works.

kellybelly333
on 6/26/14 5:18 am - Toronto, Canada

The problem is, you are supposed to be able to drink a full glass of water with MOM. And you are unable to do that right now. I didn't go for a week, and then things started moving. You aren't eating much, so being backed up isn't a huge issue at the moment. My real issues started when my malabsorption stopped (guessing that it was done) around 18 months out. MOM, with lots of water, is my go-to. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics