travel after surgery

pink7sadie
on 6/27/14 10:18 am

I'm 36.  My surgery is November 18.  I have no  comorbidities.   My brother's wedding is the last weekend in November in Mexico.   So 11 days after my surgery.   How likely do you think it will be that I will be able to go? 

REFERRED: June 19, 2013, ORIENTATION: September 23, 2013,1st SURGEON (Dr. KLEIN) APPT. October 10, 2013 RN / SW / NUT: December 20, 2013 DR. GLAZER: January 7, 2014 2nd SW / NUT: February 14, 2013, 2nd SURGEON (Dr. KLEIN) APPT. March 31, 2014, 2nd APPT. DR. GLAZER: February 4, 2015   PATTS: February 19, 2015 SURGERY: March 13, 2015

pink7sadie
on 6/27/14 10:31 am

Another thing about traveling on medical leave,  do they even let you do that? 

REFERRED: June 19, 2013, ORIENTATION: September 23, 2013,1st SURGEON (Dr. KLEIN) APPT. October 10, 2013 RN / SW / NUT: December 20, 2013 DR. GLAZER: January 7, 2014 2nd SW / NUT: February 14, 2013, 2nd SURGEON (Dr. KLEIN) APPT. March 31, 2014, 2nd APPT. DR. GLAZER: February 4, 2015   PATTS: February 19, 2015 SURGERY: March 13, 2015

Leanne1
on 6/27/14 11:55 am - Newmarket, Canada

You can travel BUT you will lose that week of EI (if that is what you are on or will be on). I went away when I was 5weeks post op and lost $450... boyy, was I upset. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

jaxie77
on 6/27/14 11:23 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey Pink sadie ,

Wow ! 11 days thats soon after ! Im not sure but I just wanted to say I did read somewhere about flight pressure after surgery ?? Maybe look that up and see if anything cones up ? Im assuming youll be flying ? And then youll have the added stress of being away from the clinic or hospital if any complications arise ( dont mean to freak you out but I guess you have to consider these things ) .....and then all the food prep and having to worry about all that ! Sounds complicated but i can imagine how much youd love to be there :(  Have you asked for any cancellations or anything ? I did want to ask you......I notice your timeline is quite long from referral to surgery ....I have Dr Klien also and my sw / dietician appointment is next week then Dr Klien again for 2nd appointment. ....is it likely I will wait the same tineframe you have from 2nd app to surgery date ?? 

Just wondering .....anyway I really hope you find a way to go , its awful to miss these things but you have to out your health first right ? 

Jax x

Mary A.
on 7/3/14 4:42 am
On June 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM Pacific Time, jaxie77 wrote:

Hey Pink sadie ,

Wow ! 11 days thats soon after ! Im not sure but I just wanted to say I did read somewhere about flight pressure after surgery ?? Maybe look that up and see if anything cones up ? Im assuming youll be flying ? And then youll have the added stress of being away from the clinic or hospital if any complications arise ( dont mean to freak you out but I guess you have to consider these things ) .....and then all the food prep and having to worry about all that ! Sounds complicated but i can imagine how much youd love to be there :(  Have you asked for any cancellations or anything ? I did want to ask you......I notice your timeline is quite long from referral to surgery ....I have Dr Klien also and my sw / dietician appointment is next week then Dr Klien again for 2nd appointment. ....is it likely I will wait the same tineframe you have from 2nd app to surgery date ?? 

Just wondering .....anyway I really hope you find a way to go , its awful to miss these things but you have to out your health first right ? 

Jax x

I would discuss it fully with your surgeon and make sure you have additional insurance to whatever you may have through work already...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

sellarsgal
on 6/27/14 1:21 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I wouldn't recommend it so soon after surgery. See if you can get a surgery date for Dec. so you can go to the wedding. I wouldn't risk it. And you can't leave the country if you're on EI unless it's for medical reasons. You will loose that week plus they may penalize you further, Knowing them. 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Karen M.
on 6/27/14 11:29 pm - Mississauga, Canada

While everyone is different in their recovery and you may be feeling very well, this is not something I would have done. The very last thing you need is to be in a foreign country and require medical assistance. Especially medical assistance due to a surgery that a great many doctors have no experience with. Not being an alarmist, but things can go south very quickly after any major surgery.

As for the insurance company allowing you to go - I would think, as others mentioned, that you would lose any benefits for the period of time you're gone. I also think that an employer would take issue with someone who is not well enough to work but seemingly well enough to go on vacation.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics