Anyone work Homecare ? if so , how long off work roughly ?

jaxie77
on 7/7/14 3:35 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hi ladies , just wondering about the time off after surgery . I did a search of the forum about time off and im seeing a lot of 2/3 weeks off then going back but a lot of those see to be for office staff. Anyone who works a fairly physical job and went back in that timeframe ? 

I work homecare and as you can imagine , it can be physically demanding depending on the client . I have a lot of heavy/ trained cases on my schedule and wondering how to go about my return to work . Any input girlies ? 

Jax x

sellarsgal
on 7/7/14 4:08 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hi there, your surgeon will determine how long you're off for based on your job. For you probably 6 weeks. I was off for 5 and I work in a grocery store. 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

gonna_B_thinner
on 7/7/14 4:24 am

I do home day care and have up to five kids a day to look after.  I got my staples out this morning and started back to work this afternoon after taking a week and two days off.  I'll be working full time for the rest of the week.  My surgery date was June 26.  I can sit down when needed and my 14 year old son will be a helper if need be.  So far things are going well.  In my job I can't take much time off or I wouldn't have a job to go back too.  If you have benefits and can stay off longer go for it.  If I wasn't self employed I would have taken longer.  But I am feeling really good and am able to get 8 glasses of water in.  

Dreamy74
on 7/7/14 4:30 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi jaxie I just had my social work appointment at TWH on Friday and I asked her how long I would expect to be off after surgery, and she said "the usual is 4 weeks, but up to 6 weeks if you have a labour intensive job".  I would say if you are allowed/able to take the time off work then try and take a full 6 weeks.  Will your company allow you to be off and will you be paid, or do you have short term disability benefits?

jaxie77
on 7/7/14 4:43 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Thanks for the replies girls , 

My company will allow me to be off but I will not be paid for sick leave . I will apply for EI (if its going to be longer than 4 weeks) ...but also in my company , I can bank hours , which I do regularly , and withdraw for times like this or vacation or whatvever . So I will see what my surgeon says and go from there I guess. I also have the option of going back earlyish and doing respite shifts but I think I'd rather be at home while I get to grips with healing and the whole food and vits and fluids process . As most of you will know , trying to get myself and my six year old son out the door in the morning and be at work on time is like a full time shift already !!! So I dont fancy doing that while im getting my head around all this other stuff !!! 

But yeah I just wondered about the actual healing part , like if im bending a lot or moving someone around on a bed etc etc ...can I hurt myself still around 3 or 4 weeks out ? 

Thanks again girls x 

kimber291
on 7/7/14 5:11 am, edited 7/7/14 5:28 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I am a PSW and do home care as well. I just had my surgery in February and I was put off for 6 weeks by Dr Klein. I was off 7 weeks all together and the first couple shifts I was absolutely exhausted. I also work full time with 12 hour shifts. I work 6 shifts biweekly. I do 4 on with 1 off, then 2 on and a week off. I work 72 hours during my work week. 

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

highlandbear
on 7/7/14 8:32 am - Canada

Hi I am a PSW and they would not let me go bac****il 8 weeks were up.  Each surgeon is different and it will depend on how the operation goes.  The operation was over 5 hours for me. I wanted to go back at 4 weeks felt great but I had to have a doctor note and could not get it. You will need to talk to the doctor after the operation.  Be ready for 6 weeks at lest 

kimber291
on 7/7/14 9:57 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Wow 5 hours.  I hope everything was okay.  How long ago did you have surgery?

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

highlandbear
on 7/7/14 11:08 am - Canada

This November will be 5 years.  There were just complications of scar tissues and some cysts that had to be taken care of that were in the way.  i was ill for 2 years afterwards before they figure out what was wrong but I am fine and not once have i had any regrets. Love my new life and you will to. Just follow the rules and listen to them. You will fine

kimber291
on 7/7/14 11:30 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

So glad they got things figured out for you, must have been scary.

I have had an amazing journey so far. No complaints. I will be 5 months post op this Friday and I feel fantastic.

Referral - Oct 29/13

Most Active
Recent Topics