Don't know where to start

Dale B.
on 7/18/14 5:15 am - Canada

This is been an amazing ride, Surgery in Sept 2013 and down 180lbs.

Now I have the urge to run, don't know why because I don't even like to walk, but I want to run but don't know where to start.

We have a lot of runners on her, need some pointers please!!!!

Dale 

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

KristieA
on 7/18/14 5:25 am - Orillia, Canada

Congrats on your success Dale.

I started with a couch to 5km (Learn to Run) course that was offered through my local Parks and Recreation.  The Running Room also has a similar program.  I found it very helpful to start off with the interval training.  Week 1 was 2min walk, 1min run x 6 times; Week 2=1min walk, 1min run x 6 times; Week 3 = 2min run, 1 min walk x 7 times.  Each week you add a minute to the run and the walk remains 1 min and the number of times you complete the walk/run sequence decreases. Eventually you get to 10min run, 1 min walk x 3 times which is about 5km.  A minute doesn't sound long, but they add up fast.  Getting out 2 to 3 times a week is very important.

Hopefully you can find a group to run with.  I know for myself if I don't run with someone else I am not motivated to get out and do it.

Best of luck.

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Catw
on 7/18/14 5:48 am - Arnprior, Canada

I don't run (except chasing my kids) at the moment, but if you can get in a running group, or even just have a couple running partners it would help keep you motivated.  If you don't have a running program around you, there are some apps you can get for couch to 5K.  It would get you started.

Cathy

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/18/14 8:14 am - Windsor, Canada

The Couch to 5k program on line and app work wonderfully.

dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Pegasus_AM
on 7/18/14 12:01 pm

I'm not sure where you are from but you could look into joining a runners club like The Running Room they have courses you can take or you can just join one of there free run nights. The Running Room has a website you can check out, they have hundreds of stores all over Canada. They helped me train to run a half marathon when I was thinner. I joined their free run nights and just got tips from other runners instead of taking one of their classes. They have many different levels of runners from beginners to expert marathon runners. They will health you learn proper ways to stretch and war up and cool down to help avoid injury as well. They are also a store so they can help you choose running gear that's good for you or you can buy it elsewhere they are great they don't pressure you at all.Good-Luck on your new running adventure :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

highlandbear
on 7/18/14 10:20 pm - Canada

There is a great group in Toronto that meets for run. The person that runs it has just started up the couch to 5k run and it is free. If you live close to Toronto and is interested I could send you the details.  I started running by using polls. Ran one poll walked the next poll did that all the way around the block. Than  I went run two minutes walk two minutes. Just built it up. If you want to run you can do it. Once you start to run you need to strength training also. A lot of people forget that. Remember to if knees start to hurt it may not be the knees could be hips.  Just pointers to keep in mind.  Strength the body listen to the body and you will be just fine 

Most Active
Recent Topics