Nucynta Withdrawals ???

jaxie77
on 8/9/14 5:51 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey all , I hope everyone is doing well and having a good night !I just have a question about a medication i have had to take . I wasn't sure if i should post it here or on another forum but couldn't find one that suits so i hope someone can help ! 

So , I have Degenerative disc disease and have five herniated discs in my spine . for the last two years or so i have been fine for the most part . I do have daily (chronic) pain but nothing that I feel warrants pain meds ,but every so often I have like a flare up and it kind of knocks me down for a few days . This is when I feel I have to take something . I am pre-op right now and have been discussing alternative meds with my family doctor , and last week (friday ) during one of these bad spells , he decided to change my go to pain med from Diclofenac (Arthrotec) to Nucynta (Tepantadol) because apparently the Diclofenac cannot be taken after RNY . So i began taking the Nucynta on Saturday of last week , I took one 50mg every four hours or so for the first few days until i got over the worst ,and then i took one as needed on Thursday , Friday i didn't take any during the day but last night after 10 hours at work my back was killing so I took 2 (my Doc said i could do that if i needed to ), this morning I was fine so haven't taken any at all today. Felt great , went out with hubby and son to the Drive -in (Guardians of the Galaxy is AWSOME !!) came home and I came to bed around 1am ........I have since woken up at about 2 , feeling totally wide awake !!! and have a really awful kind of like crawly feeling in my muscles , like i have to keep stretching them out . So now i am sitting here .....on my laptop ,at 3.30 am , completely unable to get back to sleep :( the only thing that seems to take away this feeling is if I walk it out , so I've been pacing around here like a madwoman for about an hour ,trying not to wake the house !!My brain is completely awake and even though I know I need to sleep , I cannot shut down.  Could this be withdrawals? This early on a medication ? I did some reading on the Nucynta , it is an Opiod  drug and apparently is highly addictive , and i can see why . When i took them the first couple of times , and especially last night when i took 2 , I was 'Away with the Fairies ' !!!!! Once the pain was gone it was all very pleasant indeed ! So I know to be careful with them , but I never thought I could experience withdrawal symptoms after about a week ? Has anyone else had experience with this medication , or even withdrawal symptoms ? Maybe it's not even that and I have too much on my mind (surgery date hopefully coming soon !!) , but Iv'e never had this physical feeling before in my body , like Restless leg syndrome but in all my joints and muscles !! Any advice or info much appreciated , I will away now and creep back into bed again .....see if I can finally nod off ! Thanks for listening Jax xx   

Seyenna
on 8/9/14 6:52 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Oh hun, I have nothing noteworthy to add other than my condolences. I'm so sorry that you're in pain and I hope that something can be worked out for you!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

jaxie77
on 8/10/14 2:03 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Thanks darlin :) I'm feeling better today , managed to get back to sleep and even got a lie in !! Hugs doll x

NewMe2.0
on 8/10/14 1:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi Jax,

I feel your pain.  I broke my back in 3 places, herniated discs, have degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, and had my tailbone removed...I am very sensitive to most pain medications, and cannot take most of them.  Like you, I only take them when in a bad flare up.   I was on toradol and vimova before my rny, and now hydrocodone when needed after. I have never heard of the medication you are on.

The symptoms you are describing do sound like a reaction or a withdrawal...I have had similar ones over the years with various medications...(but usually I get nauseas and sick).  Have you tried calling your pharmacist? (it may just be because you took 2)

Also, have you considered the VSG over the RNY?  You can take nsaids with the vsg.  The rny is the standard in Ontario, but the vsg is done in certain cir****tances, and yours sounds like it would qualify. 

I hope you are able to get some rest, and feel better soon,

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

jaxie77
on 8/10/14 2:16 am, edited 8/10/14 2:17 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Thanks Vicky , 

Wow!! I'm sorry to hear about your back too !! It's the pits eh ? If you dont mind me asking , why was your tailbone removed ? That must cause you a lot of pain also ! The Nucynta is a new drug apparently ( not sure how new but thats just what my doc said ) , it does seem to work very well , but like both you and KarenM said , it may be because I took two the previous night then nothing . I had no nausea or anything , even on the other times I took it ....just that pleasant pain relief feeling , then , I have to say , a slight buzz !!!! The last time I got a buzz from a medication was when I had an Epidural with my C-Section !!! Not unpleasant but I dont think i should focus on that part !!! Lol 

The VSG was not really discussed when I had my surgeons meeting , I have read up on it and I may do some more reading with myself in mind . Would I be able to change the plan at this point ? I have my final appointment with him on September 10th , along with the lovely Seyenna above ......

Thanks for your advice dear , I will call my pharmacist today and see if that is the cause . I got back to sleep and managed to get a good rest :) 

Thanks again 

Jax xx

NewMe2.0
on 8/10/14 4:55 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hey Jax,

I sent you a private message.

:)

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Karen M.
on 8/10/14 1:08 am - Mississauga, Canada

I know exactly the feeling you're talking about! I describe it as "wanting to crawl out of my skin". Stretching feels good for a couple of seconds and then the "crawliness" starts somewhere else. I had the same experience when my Dr. increased a medication I was on (not a pain killer though) - usually it sort of knocks me out but if I wasn't able to fall asleep quick enough I swear I could have ripped off my skin to get to my muscles. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to it and took a Benadryl a couple of times, but that didn't really help at all. My Dr. explained it as physical anxiety in response to the medication.  I suspect it's because you took 2 pills that one time.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

jaxie77
on 8/10/14 2:26 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey Karen , 

YES !!! That's exactly how I felt last night !! Was horrid ! I think you're right and it is because I took two on friday then nothing , but I am gonna call my pharmacist and see what she says .I did manage to get back to sleep and hubby even let me sleep in which was a bonus !! I feel good today and my back is fine ( can deal with it at least ) so I think i'll stay away from the pain meds until completely necessary !! But I will see if the pharmacist has any other suggestions , because if I do have a flare up and have to take them for a while , I dont really want to go through that every time :( 

Thanks for your advice dear x 

Jax x

Most Active
Recent Topics