Rny july 4, why am i feeling like a failure?

Cartysmom
on 8/18/14 9:56 am - Canada

Hello, 

i had my rny surgery on july 4. I lost 10 lbs the first week out and only 9 more since:( i know we are not to compare or weigh daily but im very discouraged right now!!! Im handling all foods without problems, getting 50-70 g of protein a day and 500-800 calories daily. I drink lots of fluids. Am i doing something wrong??? Thanks for your help! Katherine

Karen M.
on 8/18/14 10:03 am - Mississauga, Canada

No, you are not at all a failure! You've lost 19 pounds in just over a month!

Stalls, pauses, plateaus... they're going to happen. A lot. Right now your body is in wtf-mode and trying to hold onto anything it can. Please just keep doing what you're doing - protein first, keep hydrated, move when you can and go easy on yourself.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Cartysmom
on 8/18/14 10:58 am - Canada

Karen,

Thank you for the encouraging words!! I appreciate the feedback:) guess im just feeling down today! I will just keep trudging!!! I thank you for supporting us newbies!! You are very helpful to all of us and its very appreciated!

Katherine

Karen M.
on 8/18/14 9:53 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Aww... "trudging" is sometimes the best we can do. It will get better, hang in there. xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

mum2TNT
on 8/18/14 11:30 am - Oshawa, Canada

I am a newbie.....still pre-op, just had orientation class today actually :)  I can only offer HUGS and keep your chin up good vibes girl :)  

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Cartysmom
on 8/18/14 12:35 pm - Canada

Mum2tnt,

thank you! I'm wishing you good luck on your journey:)

Jiliana2
on 8/18/14 10:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

That proverbial "three week stall" (do a search for it on the forums here; you'll find loads of posts about it!) is a real killer. I stalled at three weeks post-op for three weeks!!! I was ready to scream. But I knew I was following my surgeon's plan and I wasn't deviating at all from that. It would work out, eventually.

For myself, I do two other things to measure my success when I don't see numbers changing on the scale. I take photos every month on the anniversary of my surgery. I also take measurements: neck, bust, under the bust, waist, hips, upper thigh, knee, calf, ankle, upper arm, elbow and wrist.

When my three week stall happened, I busted out the measuring tape. I had lost 12 inches in those three weeks! I was THRILLED beyond belief. (To date, I have lost about 65 inches in total.) I would suggest you try one of these methods to tide you over when the inevitable stalls happen. And they will. This will not be the last stall you experience on this journey.

So keep in mind that as long as you are getting your protein and water, and following your plan, this too shall pass. Hang in there!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Catw
on 8/18/14 10:42 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Kathrine, as was said, you are probably just in a scale stall.  Doesn't mean you aren't still losing.  You may notice more room in your clothes these days.  One other thing to remind yourself of, is the amount you lost while on Opti.  Some people lose a little, some lose a lot.  That amount would be included in this, and also starting your stall.  Keep following the rules and you'll start losing again.

Cathy

Monica9811
on 8/18/14 10:45 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I think you are doing great. I do think you need to up your protein though. It is a little bit on the low side. That might kick start things again. Good luck!

redviking
on 8/19/14 2:20 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Hi there. How can you be a failure, when you've only completed a tiny fraction of a lifetime project? Yesterday I had my 4 week post op appt with the nurse. When we talked about my weight loss so far, she said, that's great but just so you know, you will stall. She wasn't trying to be negative, she was preparing me for what's ahead. I actually see things slowing down now and to me that's a reminder I shouldn't be weighing myself every day. The nurse told me that our insides aren't really healed until 6 months post op. Imagine all the work our bodies are doing, that we don't even know about.  Things are not running smoothly quite yet.  It sounds like you are doing great! I know it's tough, but keep doing all your good work and it will payoff!

Sonja

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Most Active
Recent Topics