Protein bars - which do you prefer?

Blueiiis
on 9/14/14 1:50 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I am almost 5 weeks out and am looking for a protein bar that I can keep in my purse for those times when I am on the go and don't have time for a meal (generally the night I volunteer as I have less than 1 hour to get there from worn which is a 45 minute drive).  

I was at Costco, they have premier bars, pure protein bars and a couple others I can't recall the names of. I hated the premier shakes so am leery of trying the bars as they may be just as bad.....

so for those who eat the bars, what is the brand that you prefer and where do you get them?

LittleMiss2013
on 9/14/14 2:56 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I prefer Quest Bar - White Chocolate & Raspberry.....but at almost $3 per bar it can get expensive after awhile, so I treat those as a once in a while treat. Basically whenever I am in the mall that sells them near my house I grab one. The ones I use more regularly are the Pure Protein Bars. I grab mine from Target. You get 6 bars per box for $7. My favorite flavor is the Vanilla Crunch....it looks like cookies and cream. Second flavor I don't mind is peanut butter....but I would stay away from any of the ones named Chocolate fudge or double chocolate or anything that is JUST chocolate flavored.....it's gross

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Dave_J
on 9/14/14 3:15 am - Canada

Meanwhile, I live off the double chocolate and double chocolate vanilla creme ;).  They can also be purchased at Wal-Mart...

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

LittleMiss2013
on 9/14/14 5:08 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Is it actually called "double chocolate", lol, I was guessing because I couldn't remember. I think the one I tried was Deluxe Chocolate but I didn't love it. The Vanilla chocolate one feels like a real treat though. Apparently there is a strawberry yogurt Pure Protein bar too. Would LOVE to try that one =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

kellybelly333
on 9/14/14 3:56 am - Toronto, Canada

That is my favourite.... But I just finished a box and I won't buy more, because I like them TOO much :)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Zizzler
on 9/14/14 7:30 am

I have been trying the Quest bars and have liked all of them so far.  What I like is they are low carb and many of them have no sugar alcohols.  My favourites so far are the apple pie and almond one.  GNC had a sale on a few days ago, buy 3 get one free so I picked up one of each kind.  One thing I noticed is I do get a little gas after I eat them, maybe its the fibre?  Do either the pure protein or premier bars have sugar alcohols in them?  If not I might pick up some of those too, thanks for the info.

Wesley T.
on 9/14/14 8:03 am - Canada

Premier Protein bars have an insane 10 grams of sugar per a bar. Bars that are "Sugar Free" then go for sugar alcohols. What do we turn to for low sugar, no sugar alcohols high protein? I've been basically keeping to cut up chicken breast chunks for protein in quick to go situations. Walmart here has the equate brand, but they are higher in sugars as well. 

REFERRAL: FEB 14 ORIENTATION: AUG 22/14 SOCIAL WORKER: SEP 19/14 NURSE PRACTITIONER: OCT 22/14 PHARMACIST: OCT 23/14 

SURGEON APT: FEB 06/15 SURGERY DATE: APRIL 13/15 HW: 333 (Pre-Optifast) CW: 260.5

Zizzler
on 9/14/14 10:55 am

Some of the quest bars are sweetened with sucralose rather than sugar alcohols, just check the ingredients, there are at least 8 different kinds, 20g protein per bar.

Patm
on 9/14/14 9:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I like the pure protein bars from costco. Especially the peanut butter one

BluIzGal
on 9/14/14 11:06 am, edited 9/14/14 2:33 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I have tried all of the quest bars and I prefer them to most because of the little to no sugar alcohols. The premier ones had me doubled over at work because of them.  A suggestion I pick up on OH is to microwave them for 10 seconds. Particularly the apple pie and brownie ones. My favourite one is the White Chocolate and Raspberry bar. I will carry one in my purse for the very odd occasion where I am unable to grab something to eat or bring one to a movie theatre as a special treat. I find if I eat them more regularly I gain a pound or two. I found when I was in the weight loss phase I stalled or gained more often. 

Patricia

Most Active
Recent Topics