sugar intake and yeast infections post-op

Katie M.
on 9/15/14 10:35 am, edited 9/15/14 10:38 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I have had a yeast infection the week before my period for the last three months (this is month three) My doc is convinced it's due to a drop in estrogen that is allowing the yeast to grow in combination with not really getting the first infection under control so it keeps reoccurring, but I am not so sure... I have been rigorous in not allowing sugar in to my diet, and at almost a year post-op I think I've done pretty well in keeping it that way. However, there are a few things that have been creeping in - peanut butter and (small****d capps from Tim's are the two I think I overindulge in. Everything else is sugar from fruit (grapes, apples, watermelon usually). Anyway, I don't seem to experience dumping but I wonder if my new pouch has made me sensitive to sugar in a different way - in the form of yeast overgrowth. Has anyone else experienced this type of sugar sensitivity? I can honestly say my sugar levels on a daily basis are not even a fraction of what they were pre-op, and I never got yeast infections until now. But maybe the little bit I've allowed in over the summer has messed my gut up? I'm eliminating my bad iced capp habit starting now (they are so bad!!) and no more peanut butter for the time being to see if that helps things next month...

Any vets with experience in this area? Thanks!!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Karen M.
on 9/15/14 10:47 am - Mississauga, Canada

Katie, I know you have mentioned a new boyfriend. NO OFFENSE intended, just a thought, please. If you had a yeast infection and thought it was gone, then was sexually active with said boyfriend, you could well be passing it back and forth without knowing it. Nothing to do with food or even peanut butter. (laughing because my mind is warped but anyway) - that may be the culprit. He needs to be tested too, and treated.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Katie M.
on 9/15/14 10:57 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Hey Karen, that was my first thought too! Actually I assumed he was the culprit right off the bat ;) But he has been tested the last two months and come back negative, and doesn't seem keen on being tested again this month haha ;) When I look back it seems like it started with my increase in sugar intake, but that increase is such a small amount I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid... Maybe it's just a coincidence? 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Karen M.
on 9/15/14 10:59 am - Mississauga, Canada

Maybe, maybe not. Cut out the sugar for sure (!!!!) and see what happens I guess. That totally sucks, sorry to hear, honestly. Not a nice way to start a new relationship, eh. Glad to hear he was willing to test at all! LOL

Karen

Katie M.
on 9/15/14 11:05 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Yeah I will definitely cut out the sugar as that can only help me and I can't afford to let that crap creep up on me. I think I'll do some research on probiotics as well, that seems like a good next step since the medications the doc is prescribing only banish the itch for a brief time and don't seem to be actually curing the infection. Definitely not a nice way to start off a new relationship - between three yeast infections and a UTI I've never had so much trouble in my pants before! Good grief! But he is a great guy and incredibly supportive so I'm lucky that way. I don't blame him for not wanting to test for a third time ;)

Karen M.
on 9/15/14 11:09 am - Mississauga, Canada

ALSO... if you have changed your birth control method (i.e. the pill), that can cause yeast infections as well. I really hope you get this figured out soon!

Karen

redviking
on 9/15/14 10:50 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Do you eat much yogurt?  Sounds like you would benefit from a probiotic supplement to try and get your good bacteria replenished.  It's funny you should bring this up because I have what I think is a yeast infection on the skin near my bra line and I'm wondering if somehow my body chemistry has changed.  

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Karen M.
on 9/15/14 11:01 am - Mississauga, Canada

I would be willing to bet that it is increased overhang, due to weight loss, that is causing that. Our bodies are strange, irritating creatures.

Karen

Katie M.
on 9/15/14 11:02 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

It's funny, pre-op any kind of probiotic yogurt would send my gut in to a tail spin. I'd be in the bathroom all day after one of those little Activia cups. I eat yogurt for breakfast with some berries on Tuesday and Saturday mornings (I enjoy routine haha) but that's all I get, and I've been wary of trying probiotics because of how I was pre-op. But obviously things are much different now! My doc hasn't even mentioned probiotics, just keeps giving me Terconazole but I should do some research on which are the better supplements to try. Anything to stop this itch!! I wonder what you could use for the possible-infection on your skin? That would be an annoying place to itch all day, that's for sure.

Karen M.
on 9/15/14 11:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

I think you can purchase cream (actually, I am pretty sure you can) to use topically. It will (hopefully) take away the itch, but isn't a permanent solution.

This whole thread has made me think about the SAM in your pants ad on TV.

I wish I had SAM in my pants right now.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics