Feeling very overwhelmed!

miss_tarah
on 11/6/14 10:20 am - Toronto, Canada

My surgery date is December 16, and I start Optifast on November 25.  I am finding that I am starting to experience anxiety and slight panic attacks, scared that I am not ready or prepared for what is to come. What if I fail and stretch my stomach? What if I don't get the proper nutrients from not eating properly, and therefore get sick or lose my hair? Is this a normal feeling?

I have fallen into this scared pit and have moments where I feel like I have no idea what I have signed up for (and sometimes I feel like it is just nerves, and I am more than ready).  I am hoping this is a normal feeling, but worried that it is not.  Can anyone provide any links to post-op proportions/recipes for all stages and/or words of encouragement?

Thank you :)

Seyenna
on 11/6/14 11:29 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I'm also having my surgery December 16th, I'm with TWH, maybe we'll meet on the other side?  I have no advice on nerves, I'm just excited. Maybe more than I should be, I think it's healthy to be a bit worried. 

By the way - your hair will fall out, it's almost inevitable. Read this link for more info. I've read up on it a lot, and the most you can do is increase your vitamin intake which may help it regrow back faster and healthier. 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

miss_tarah
on 11/7/14 1:58 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks Seyenna :) I am having my surgery at HRHH, so I think we may miss each other :( 

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/6/14 11:58 am - Windsor, Canada

It is totally normal to have these feelings before surgery. It will be a new life and you'll have lots of learning to do. 

Do you have a written plan?  What centre are you!? Start looking it over now. Doing your shopping isn't a bad idea so that you will know that you have everything covered. 

Read this board especially the what are you eating threads.  I know for instance that TWH has a plan that is pretty much outlined. You can pretty much use much of their plan no matter what centre you are. If you are Guelph you'd his so the stages as they say. 

Be a part of your support group.  Find one in your area.   

The shopping is a main part.  Of you have what you need, we can always help you here any day.  You have a lot of support here and we are always available.  

Read your program again and again , shop for what you need and you'll be fine.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

miss_tarah
on 11/7/14 1:59 am - Toronto, Canada

Thank you :) I wrote my post when I was in the midst of a minor panic attack, so things are seeming much more easier now.  I have calmed myself down and re-read my written plan.  I am at HRHH, but wish I could get a look at that outlined plan given out by TWH. Do you know of anyone who has a copy? 

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/7/14 2:09 am - Windsor, Canada

http://www.uhn.ca/docs/HealthInfo/Shared%20Documents/Eating_for_Health_after_Gastric_Bypass_Surgery.pdf

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Patm
on 11/6/14 8:50 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

As others have said it is normal to have nerves. You mentioned looking for recipes. Try eggface or the Ontario oh site

TWH has a new sie for the program with a lot of info

miss_tarah
on 11/7/14 2:00 am - Toronto, Canada

Thank you! Eggface is great!

Wendy-Louise
on 11/6/14 11:31 pm - Canada

Don't be scared you have come this far you are almost there. Sounds like you took your time to make this decision so be confident in yourself. Do things that take your mind off it. I am 10 days out now and am doing great it was not anything like I thought it would be. I had very little pain, no problems eating ( if you call it that I am still on full fluids) . Other than tiring easy I don't feel much different than normal. My thing is once I make a decision I rarely look back or second guess myself I just move forward to wherever it takes me good or bad I just keep moving on. You can, what if yourself right out of anything if you allow yourself to. You have done the work you know the risks and side effects you have excepted them, now only happy good positive thoughts about your new life in your slim body. Anyway those are my thoughts I hope they make sense to you. Good Luck on your Opti and the rest of your journey!

miss_tarah
on 11/7/14 2:01 am - Toronto, Canada

Thank you so much, your words are so sweet and comforting.  I am very nervous about the whole thing and it is nice to hear the experience of someone who just went through it.  I am happy to hear that you are doing well and feeling great, such an inspiration! Thank you!

Most Active
Recent Topics