Tips for going back to work?

Daisy_does_it
on 11/9/14 7:58 am - Scarborough, Canada

Heading back to work....looking for any tips that assisted you.  Also, was fatigue an issue?

Thank you!

Leanne1
on 11/9/14 8:17 am - Newmarket, Canada

Plan your meals a couple of days ahead. I had, and still do, get different things ready for my work week.

For example, today I cut up cheese and keilbasa, boiled a few eggs, got a few other things ready. 

I always prep my foods the night before then in the morning I just pack my lunchbag and go. 

Tomorrow I will pack soup (turkey soup that I made and froze, also keeps everything really cold, like an ice pack), yoguart, cheese, keilbasa and a few crackers, salad, fibre1 lemon bar and maybe a granola bar (just in case I need it). I will make my breakie while I get things ready and I am having dinner out with friends.

I will pack for tuesday, tomorrow night after I see what I have for leftovers. I do this everyday (sun to thurs) religiously. I like to be prepared.

I didn't have much fatigue, then again I was off for 15 weeks between my RNY and gall bladder surgeries. ;)

Good luck :D 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Zizzler
on 11/9/14 9:24 am

Be gentle with yourself and listen to your body. Don't go back to work before your body is ready. Get enough sleep and rest, take your vitamins, drink enough water, follow the eating rules from your centre.  I was tired the first week back and actually got a bad cold and ended up sick at home most of the week. Use hand sanitizer and wash your hands often, it is flu season. Once you get into a new routine of taking vitamins, drinking, eating it will feel more natural. Wish you all the best, you have done something very brave in order to improve you health, you should be proud.

Blueiiis
on 11/9/14 10:09 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I was off for 7 weeks and went back to a brand new job! They did not know I had the surgery, so even if I was tired I couldn't say anything about it.  

Luckily I didn't get too fatigued, maybe it was the nervous energy or something but I felt fine.  

The above posts have great tips - and something I must start doing.  I pack my lunch in the morning, having a rough idea of what I want. Tomorrow is leftover chicken / pineapple with 1/3c kale salad.  I take a Greek yogurt for the morning, and cheese/crackers for the afternoon.  I also keep assorted protein bars in my desk.  I found protein water at Longos, one bottle lasts me two days, so I like to keep this handy for an extra boost of protein. 

Good luck, you will do great!

Daisy_does_it
on 11/9/14 10:41 am - Scarborough, Canada

Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate your wise advice!

Mary A.
on 11/10/14 5:08 am

I was very tired for the first month or so, simply not being able to rest when I wanted to was the major issue + not finding an appropriate protein supplement for a long time.

If you can find a protein supplement that you will take diligently it will help in your recovery + don't forget the fluids.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics