9 months out today....appetite feels like it's back with a vengeance

kimber291
on 11/10/14 10:20 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Good morning everyone. Today is my 9 month surgiversary. And I have to say that I feel like my appetite has kicked it into high gear over the last week or so. I'm not acting on it but I feel hungry all the time and all I've been thinking about is food. Guess the honeymoon faze is over !?!

Still loving life, no regrets. This surgery was the best gift I could have ever given myself. Just wish this appetite would p*ss off!!

Kim 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Karen M.
on 11/10/14 11:46 pm - Mississauga, Canada

If the seeming return of the hunger doesn't **** off, do you have a plan in mind to control it?

Also, and certainly can't be sure this is true for you, I would consider excess stomach acid that can mimic hunger at times (i.e. are you on a PPI?). I would also self-evaluate if it is true hunger or head hunger.

Good luck :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kimber291
on 11/11/14 12:07 am, edited 11/11/14 12:07 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I had no idea about the excess stomach acid. I was taking prevacid but I haven't taken it in well over a week.  COULD have something to do with it. I did take it earlier when I got up though, must have been instinct lol.  

As far as controlling it, I need to get a plan in place if it doesn't ease off. Is it bad of me to NOT have a plan. I don't want to sound like I've neglected this part of the process, I guess I just haven't planned this far ahead yet. I did just make myself a protein shake smoothie with 1/2 c milk and frozen fruit. I have had a tough go with the protein shakes but this morning I thought I needed to pack a punch into this...so I made that and it wasn't so bad.  I plan on having 2 of those per day from here on out. I will not give into this game. I've come too far. 

In your 8 years how have you dealt with this yourself? Any tips are greatly appreciated.  

My pouch is making some funky sounds at the moment lmao. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 7:05 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hmmm... that does sound a little too coincidental that the hunger starting and cease in taking the PPI happened around the same time, yes?

I find that eating 6 small "meals" keeps me going all day. I am an anomaly, admittedly. I have not felt "hunger" since my surgery 8 1/2 years ago. It is mostly a blessing except when I fail to eat and get the "oh **** dizzy weak moment". So eating very regularly, on a schedule works for me,  could be "your plan" to combat the hunger. That and making sure you're drinking water/fluids.

I can't offer any help at all with the loud gut gurgles. Mine STILL does this!! My boyfriend gets quite a kick out of it - "You enjoyed dinner, did you?" LOL

K. :)

P.S. Let me know if you need some more help.

Karen

Wesley T.
on 11/11/14 3:23 am - Canada

Other than work, what activities have you been adding to your new lifestyle? With the weight coming off you must feel better to do things like biking and if it is too cold out, joining the gym. When head hunger strikes for me, pre-op I make it my effort to stop and think what has possessed me so to speak. Most of the time I find I get 'hunger' when I am in front of the TV or doing a mindless activity. 

Exercising everyday with my elliptical 83 mins, and or a 5 k jog in the woods with my dogs and I am tired for the evening. The good tired. And I find that I am not really all that concerned with searching the cupboards as I am contently tired. The mind plays vicious tricks.

REFERRAL: FEB 14 ORIENTATION: AUG 22/14 SOCIAL WORKER: SEP 19/14 NURSE PRACTITIONER: OCT 22/14 PHARMACIST: OCT 23/14 

SURGEON APT: FEB 06/15 SURGERY DATE: APRIL 13/15 HW: 333 (Pre-Optifast) CW: 260.5

roxytrim
on 11/11/14 4:36 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Karen is most likely right, but as well I find for me that November is a very tough month.  A couple of weeks ago I found myself wanting to eat more carbs and sleep lots, I though WTF??  Then looked at the calander, ahhh November.  The days get short, dark & cold I have to white knuckle it with the carbs, and I am not always successful.  I am trying to be aware and work through  mind/actual hunger identify test, If I'm actually hungry would I eat chicken breast, if yes, eat something healthy, if no, leave it and get off the topic.  Very challenging.

kimber291
on 11/11/14 9:26 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Wow so weird about the sleeping thing. ...I have been so exhausted the last few days and I feel like I don't even sleep at night. But I don't remember being awake at all. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 9:00 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You are spot-on about the grey days of November. January can do the same thing to a lot of people. SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) affects so many people - lack of sunlight, and therefore vitamin D, really plays meanly with your body.

Excellent strategy in the hunger identity test you do. It does work.

Karen

kimber291
on 11/11/14 9:23 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Thank you so much for the responses. You guys are awesome!  Karen,  I am going do the 6 small meals a day. I have been eating 3 plus 1 to 2 snacks some days but not all. This may work better for me, this is the rest of my life and I better get a working plan in order. 

Thanks again everyone....your all amazing! XOXO

Referral - Oct 29/13

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 8:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You've got a good head on your shoulders and you ask for advice when you need to - that is what long-term success looks like.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics