Low metabolism or what..

KerryF.
on 12/9/14 10:05 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

no the original poster didn't say the nutritionist recommended that, but they did mention only drinking protein shakes. Everyone was telling him/her to speak to their nutritionist  and my point was I didn't think any nutritionist would be on board with just protein shakes and no real food and no real proper eating habits being formed.

At this stage post surgery (in my opinion) forming good eating habits with healthy food choices should be the number 1 goal.... not even worrying about the calories, good choices is more important.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

charminglearner
on 12/11/14 6:32 am
RNY on 10/27/14

I have seen a dietitian twice.

The first one was in March, to get approval for surgery.  The second time was at the one month check up at the end of November. She said I had to experiment to see what I could tolerate and that vomiting was to be expected if I can't tolerate something.  I am terrified of vomiting.  It is painful and lasts for hours.  I almost died from long term projectile vomiting when I was young and vomiting is a scary thing to deal with even today.

Since I posted this I have been back on full fluids, am moving back to minced, but am very cautious.  It's like poking my big toe into the water. I know someday I'll have to submerge my body, but I am scared to pay the price for eating something my body doesn't agree with.

Thank you for your encouragement in forming healthy food habits.

charminglearner
on 12/11/14 6:36 am
RNY on 10/27/14

No, the dietitian did not recommend I stay on full fluids.  

I saw a dietitian before I left the hospital, and another at one month.  

The dietitian has encouraged me to experiment to see what I can tolerate.  My concern is how I will handle it when my digestion system can't tolerate it.  

White Dove
on 12/9/14 6:31 pm - Warren, OH

Your weight loss is perfectly normal.  Neither Optifast, nor RNY is a magic bullet.  They are both tools to make it easier to stay on low calories.  Stop calculating percent of body weight and start calculating percent of excess body weight lost. 

I am guessing from your post that you started at 240 pounds and need to get to 140 pounds.  That would mean that 24 pounds is 24% of your lost weight and you are 1/4 of the way there at six weeks.  Your body is doing just what is expected.

Go to Resources at the top of the page and put your numbers into the Post Op Planner.  It is quite accurate.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

charminglearner
on 12/11/14 6:19 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Thank you for the advice.  I'll certainly look up the resources.

Julie99
on 12/9/14 9:45 pm, edited 12/9/14 9:45 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I was 240 lbs before Optifast and lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks.  You are not the only one lol.  I had surgery in August and I'm also a slow looser.  I average 1-3 lbs a week.  I'm 4 months out.  I follow the plan and have to accept it.  My body is like that.  It sucks but it will happen in good time :)  Have faith!

Referral: June 26, 2013  Confirmation: July 4, 2013  Orientation(OWMC) Sept.13, 2013  Nurse: Dec. 3, 2013  Nut/Beh: Jan. 28, 2014  Pre-surgical class: Feb. 26, 2014  Meet Surgeon: March 18, 2014  PAU: July 11, 2014  Surgery with Dr. Yelle: Aug. 11, 2014              

charminglearner
on 12/9/14 11:21 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

Thank you Julie.

Most Active
Recent Topics