Information Session Up date

Carchick28
on 12/16/14 10:16 am - Canada

So I had my information session on December 8, 2014.  It did not start off very good.  The information they sent me had two different locations to go to and I did not notice that until I had already gone to the wrong spot (figures) so had to rush to get to where I should be and I was late.  I HATE being late for anything. Almost didn't go because I hate being late so much but I went.  I did not miss much as they were still covering the first part about the surgery itself and I had already done most of the research on that anyway.  The session was good overall.

However, by the time I got home my head was spinning.  I am still uncertain if I want to do surgery.  I did say that I would continue at this point but I am still on the fence.  I was not aware that there is a Medical program as well as the surgical one so I asked to sign up to get more information on that as well which is in January.   I am curious to know if anyone here has tried the Medical program and if they did the 12 weeks of Optifast as well.  I am not sure that I could survive 12 weeks on that stuff from what I read here :-) 

I figure I want to check out all options before making a decision.  Yes I want to lose weight, yes I have tried to do it myself, yes I hate the way I look and feel, and I want to be healthy for my family BUT I also believe (or at least want to believe) that I can do this without surgery.  Surgery is such a big step that I want to make sure that it is right for me. 

I still have questions for them regarding doing the sleeve over by-pass for a number of reasons I think that that might be a better option for me but this is what I would like to speak to them further about before deciding.  So I will wait and see what happens when I hear back from them with the next steps but in the mean time I am also pursuing the Medical program as well.  Certainly cannot hurt to keep the doors open and see where they take me.

I met a woman at the information session who, without hesitation, said to me that she was So ready for surgery. I asked myself if I am and I could not say it with the confidence that she had.  So I figure I need more time and information to really make sure what the right decision is for me. 

I do really enjoy the atmosphere here and regardless of what I decide I want to stick around.  It is really nice to be with people who think and feel the same way I do.  I don't really have many friends that can really understand the struggles.  I have already met a few people who are local to me on here and hope to meet them in person and have like minded people to talk to about all of this.  

This place is a great resource and everyone is very helpful.

Blueiiis
on 12/16/14 10:45 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

As much as people complain about the Opti (and I am one of them), in retrospect it wasn't that bad! I think it's great that you are being cautious, and weighing your options on how to proceed. 

I am biased of course, but wanted to say that the surgery has changed my life for the better!  

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Carchick28
on 12/16/14 10:54 am - Canada

Everyone I know that has had surgery has said the same thing which is one of the reason I am soooooo confused over all of it.  I know that it will work.  :-) 

msmuggins
on 12/16/14 11:19 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

I felt exactly like you did after orientation.  I too met a lot of people who couldn't wait to have surgery, while I felt so unsure.  It made me wonder if the whole thing was right for me. My two cents?  Take your time, continue going through the appointments and spend some time on this site.  I found that taking it slowly and doing a lot of research really helped me to feel sure about my decision. I'm glad I didn't rush into it because I now feel completely comfortable with my decision to go ahead with the surgery.  I'm scheduled for Jan 5th.

Best of luck with your journey!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/14 12:46 pm, edited 12/16/14 12:47 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I was 200% ready once I went to the orientation. I mulled over the decision for a year, prior to telling my doctor to send in a referral. So by the time I did request he do that, I had made up my mind. I was READY. I came to the realization that I really did require this tool. I couldn't do it alone, and I so seeked a better quality of life. You will know when you are ready, I did.

Oh and also, I do believe if you do the non surgical route, you cannot then again be referred for surgery for two years after completion of the program, so really be sure you make a decision you feel comfortable with! Good luck.

Catw
on 12/16/14 10:07 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Wether you are ready for surgery or not is something only you can decide.  Look at all the options, and when you ask about the non surgical route, ask them about any wait time to go the surgical path.  When it comes to deciding, write down a list of Pros and Cons.  Also any fears you have.  Once it's all written down, you'll have a better picture of where you are.  If you are not 100% sure about surgery, it's OK to delay it.  No shame in that. No matter what path you take, you should be sure that's the path you want.  Then you'll be successful at what you chose.

I wish you well on your journey.

Cathy

Carchick28
on 12/16/14 10:16 pm - Canada

Thanks for all the responses.  It is really nice to talk to like minded people who are or have experienced the same decisions.  I am very glad I found this place.   Thanks everyone.

Wesley T.
on 12/17/14 1:43 am - Canada

Personally I felt just like you. I was on the fence I was very knowledgeable of the program and requirements even before continuing. I was mostly nervous about the major surgery that it was. In Sept 2013 I was called for my Orientation and I was so nervous that I had backed out and spent the next 4 months re-affirming to myself that indeed I could not do the weight loss without the surgery.

Me and my GP had spent the 4 months working on diet plan and exercising and I would go down the 20 pounds, but would fluctuate upwards as if my body was meant to breathe in oxygen and gain fat! So in Feb 2014 I was more than certain and comfortable with my decision to continue with Bariatric Surgery. I have spent too long the latter decade of my life battling weight in  the gym, jogging in trails, treadmills and the like. It is great that you are questioning yourself because a large portion of the after surgery work is recognizing your 'inner voice' and listening to them.

REFERRAL: FEB 14 ORIENTATION: AUG 22/14 SOCIAL WORKER: SEP 19/14 NURSE PRACTITIONER: OCT 22/14 PHARMACIST: OCT 23/14 

SURGEON APT: FEB 06/15 SURGERY DATE: APRIL 13/15 HW: 333 (Pre-Optifast) CW: 260.5

Carchick28
on 12/17/14 1:56 am - Canada

I am so glad to hear that there are others like me.  I would just like to speak to them as I have some things I want to know about then I think I would be more comfortable with a decision.  My GP doesn't really do very much to help with any of this.  I asked her for the referral and she was more than willing to do it but really doesn't help with diet plans or anything like that. 

I too am mostly nervous about the surgery and the fact that it is not reversible and my fear is what if I cannot do it afterwards.  Then I will be more miserable than I am now.  That the is the irrational part of me talking then when I think about it, I tell myself yes you can do it and you know you will.  But that darn "inner voice" just takes over.     I will wait until I hear from them in a few months and take it from there.  Again so nice to hear others with the same struggles

Dreamy74
on 12/18/14 12:27 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Carchick,

I am sorry to hear you are struggling.  Before I had my orientation I was really on the fence about the surgery.  I decided to read a book that was recommended to me by a friend and it is called "Stranger Here" by Jen Larsen.  It tells the story of a woman who decides to have a Duodenal Switch weight loss surgery in the US and how she was ill prepared.  I also read Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies by Marina Kurian and that helped immensely.  By the time the orientation came around I felt like surgery was for me and that I was ready.  I'm not saying that by reading these two books you will know 100% but they may help you some.  I am also sorry to hear that your GP doesn't help with diet plans and such.  One thing I can say that as the process went on for me (I am done almost all my appointments now, meeting with the surgeon on January 16th) that I was able to ask questions of the professionals and get clarification on things.  The most helpful appointments I found was with the nurse practitioner and the nutritionist.  Those were where I got to ask and ask and ask some more.

I hope this helps a bit and keep us posted as to how you're doing if you can!

Sending Hugs!

~Dreamy74

Most Active
Recent Topics