Iron issues

Sassy75
on 12/17/14 9:30 am - North York, Canada

hi all, so I did my 3 month blood work and my iron is crazy low :( it is only 7. I am taking ferrimax but it doesn't seem to be helping. Anyone else struggle with iron levels? Also, what about iron injections?? Ever tried them? Any feedback appreciated. 

thanks!!!

Surgery date August 11, 2014 gastric sleeve with Dr. Rotstein at St.Mike's

starting weight 309 4 months out 237

Pegasus_AM
on 12/17/14 9:42 am

I haven't had my surgery yet so I can speak from a post-op bariatric person but I have had 3 back surgeries in the last year and they left me anemic and my iron was really low. I was taking 900mg daily and it wasn't budging my iron so they doctor suggested an irn injection IM (intramuscular) it had to be deep in the muscle and I tell you it hurt like an SOB !!! I told her I wouldn't do it again and went back to taking iron pills and let it come up n it's own. I know you can get Iron infusions as well but the doctor didn't feel my iron was low enough to warrant an iron infusion.

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Karen M.
on 12/17/14 7:09 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I have chronic low iron since surgery 8.5 years ago. I too take Feramax but it always gets to a point where the supplementation is not enough and I am booked for iron infusions, which work perfectly and quickly. Many don't recommend iron injections as they don't work nearly as well as the infusions and (not that this is a huge deterrent) there is a chance that the iron will stain (permanently) your skin at the injection site.

As a post-op you will find that simply supplementing with pills at this point (your level is only 7!) will NOT work. My advice - see your doc ASAP to inquire about infusions.

K. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sassy75
on 12/18/14 5:54 am - North York, Canada

So I had my 3 month follow up at TWH today. I was told I have to take 300 elemental iron daily. If my levels do not improve by February, I will be getting infusions. So my question is should I take 2 feramax or 3 palifer? I am trying to be cost effective. Do you think it makes a difference? I am down 72 pounds and all other levels are done.

Karen M.
on 12/18/14 8:13 am - Mississauga, Canada

If it was me, I would take Feramax. It is more easily absorbed and less likely to upset your gut in most cases.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sassy75
on 12/18/14 10:52 am - North York, Canada

Thanks Karen

Surgery date August 11, 2014 gastric sleeve with Dr. Rotstein at St.Mike's

starting weight 309 4 months out 237

Dave_J
on 12/20/14 7:07 am - Canada

I don't know the name of my iron pills, but I take three of them at bedtime.  In addition, I had a 200mg iron needle for once a week for 5 weeks.  Only now, after numerous years (way before surgery) has my iron finally climbed into the normal range.  Once I do my next bloodwork in 6 months I'll know whether I require additional iron shots.

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

Most Active
Recent Topics