I know, I know too much info...but I must ask!

sadgirl89
on 12/18/14 12:04 pm

Ok guys I had surgery on Monday and today I finally had a bowel movement...3 times! However, they were black in colour and very loose... is this normal? it's a very scary sight.

bee28
on 12/18/14 12:09 pm - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

Exactly what happened to me, I actually stopped taking he stool softners and pills to make me go because I was going soooo much. My guess their dark in colour is because when they do cut your intestine to attach to your pouch there's blood and all sorts of things involved and may possibly be remenants of "dry" "older" blood I don't know lol. I say that because I vomited in the hospital on day 2 and it was like dry up blood coming out. 

sadgirl89
on 12/18/14 12:26 pm

Omg yes I'm taking the stool softners as well I should stop because it's really cramping my stomach while giving me "the runs." You are right, it has to be old blood giving its black colour. When you stopped taking the pills,were you able to have a bowel movement?

bee28
on 12/19/14 12:10 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

I was a day later yes, and the last 2 days have been "normal" even without the pills. If I find that Im constipated (which a lot of people complain about after surgery) then I have the option of taking the pills.

jaxie77
on 12/18/14 8:23 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey love , 

I'm so nervous about this right now . I have only just got up this morning( hone yesterday afternoon) and started on everything . I haven't taken the senokot  yet , but will tonight . Took the stool softener this morning . I had a broth yesterday and water ....tried a jello but just had no interest in it . I had a lemon and ginger tea which went down well and felt nice . But I have to say , I had some nausea and ended up with a wee touch of the dry heaves . I think the pain killers and no food and just the overall feeling of being overwhelmed at home ...my mother in law fussing / everyone calling ...everything was going on and I just felt so uneasy and nauseous . When I had the heaves I felt my bowels like they wanted to let go and I thought oh god ! Please no !! But nothing happened . 

Anyway , went to bed at 8 and slept till 6 this morning . I feel ok and ready to start everything now .....but I'm very worried about the poop situation . :( 

How are you feeling with everything ? What have you managed to eat so far ? This morning I've got in a 3rd of cup of premier protien shake and another lemon tea and starting on water . 

Hope you are well doll , let me know how it's going xx 

Jax xx

sadgirl89
on 12/19/14 1:02 am

Hey Jaxie!

I'm glad everything is going well for you other than feeling nauseated. The discharge nurses will call you tomorrow to check up on you :) they just called me and told me it's the senekot laxatives that are making me run to the bathroom. She told me I can stop taking them if I want but she wants me to continue taking my stool softners, and how the dark colour is normal. I also told her when I walk too much I feel pain and I usually take my pain killers when it's too late she told me take the pain killers when my pain is at 3 rather than 9! I'm so dumb I really try to soldier through this pain but I definitely will be doing that starting today.

I've been trying to eat but I kinda don't have the appetite,  today I had my chewable multivitamins at 9 am ,  an hr later I had my protein shake 1/3 of a cup I sipped slow. At 11am I started on my water  and then at 12 pm up until now I'm working on getting down my 1/3 of a cup of fat free cottage cheese I'm actually enjoying the flavour :)

My nights are restless I wake up every 2 to 3 hrs i'll probably get some rest later... hopefully!

Thanks for checking up on me love!

Here's to a super fast recovery for us, we got this!

Waytogo2015
on 1/6/15 10:00 am - Canada

Hi the blackness will be if you are taking iron. This is normal. I found my first bowel movements were loose and took awhile until eating more formed food for it to firm up. If you eat too fast this can also make it run through you at a quicker pace

Most Active
Recent Topics