4 week post-op

ArleneAnne
on 1/4/15 1:33 am - Oakville, Canada

Greetings

I am finally 4 weeks post-op and doing just fine .... still having trouble getting exercise in, but I know that that is an old mind-set issue that I HAVE to learn to deal with ..... I need to find a pal here in my Condo who will walk with me !!! ..... but I keep procrastinating

The only major issue that I have is choice of protein powder .... so far the only one that I like is the unflavoured Protein Plus from SuperStore and it is just too expensive to be on long-term !!

Will try to be a little more communicative in the future !!

Zizzler
on 1/4/15 2:19 am

You are right, it is a mind game that many have to fight daily, great that you are aware of it.

Try unflavoured and chocolate protein poweders from bulk barn or buy at Costco. Costco lets you return it for a full refund if you try it and do not like it so it is good value.  The premier protein shakes are a lifesaver for me, drink them cold, most people like them and they are super convenient.  Costco has them on sale every so often for 20 dollars for a case of 18, 30g protein per shake.  If you do not have a membership maybe you can get someone who has one to buy for you?  Vitamins at Costco are also 1/3 of the price compared to regular stores, protein bars at good prices too. 

As for exercise, why not just do some mall walking for now, since it is crappy weather?  There are mall walking clubs all over or just go solo.  You could also join a gym and use the treadmill, fit for less is only 10 dollars a month for example.  I hear you about motivation to exercise in winter, I am not a winter sports person and it is a struggle to stay motivated.  At 4 weeks I was doing light recumbent cycling at the gym and some walking, maybe this would be a good place to start for you? What I have found helpful is to set the timer for 5 minutes and tell myself it is only 5 minutes, if I want to then I can stop after that.  99.9% of the time I feel like continuing once I get started, it is amazing.  This also works well for cleaning and other tasks we tend to procrastinate about. Let us know how things go, best of luck to you, I know it is not easy.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

annieliv
on 1/4/15 9:38 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi, your reply has answered (almost completely) one the the main questions I've been wanting to ask about Costco / Protein Supp /Vitamins.  I am pre-op and so anxious to get my surgery date but also want to be 100% prepared beforehand. 

I have a family member with a Costco membership,  although I'm not sharing my journey with him (at the moment).  I would like to go with him to Costco so I can see what they have available. 

If it's not too much of a bother, can you please provide me with the brand name of the unflavoured & chocolate protein powder you suggest. Also, what Vitamins and Supplements you purchase w/IU's.  It will allow me to focus on the right products when I'm there  and hopefully avoid questions from my family member.

Thank you :)

annieliv
on 1/4/15 10:39 am - Toronto, Canada

I look forward to reading about your journey.  All the best to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics