Even Seasoned Vets sometimes slip and make mistakes

Mary A.
on 1/7/15 4:58 am

I am almost 6 years post-op and maintaining a 100lb weight loss.  I am sharing this to show newbies and those a little into the experience that it's a life long commitment.  Last weekend my son needed to go to a coffee shop because our WiFi was down and he needed to do homework before going back to school this past Monday.  I don't usually sit in a coffeeshop for more than an hr and it's usually to have a cappuchino with SF syrup and on occasion a 1/2 multigrain bagel with bacon and cheese.

Well after having read the newspaper, and a magazine, checking my FB several times we are now on hours 3 at this coffee shop..and wouldn't you know they have just finished baking FRESH muffins..and of course these are not those small (normal) size muffins we make in our home....they are the JUMBO ones

So I bought one for my son...and one for myself and since I can't remember the last time I ate a muffin I ate almost the entire cranberry orange muffin without giving it a 2nd thought

....UNTIL.....30 minutes later I bagn sweating, felt a bit dizzy and honestly had to undo my pants because my stomach became so bloated to the point where I thought my son was going to have to drive us home.  Have I leaned my lesson...yes for now...will I make mistakes again in the future (probably)...but I wanted to post this to show those of you early on in your journey, that it's a life long commitment, and when we fall we have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and not make the same mistake twice.

Goes to show...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

kellybelly333
on 1/7/15 5:14 am - Toronto, Canada

I still dump...almost 4 years out. It's not a nice feeling, so for the most part I just leave the crap alone..but yep, it still happens (my biggest shock was a full on dump while eating a very ripe mango). I can't imagine that I won't not dump. And that's fine, my reminder not to do stupid things :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Mary A.
on 1/7/15 5:18 am
On January 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Pacific Time, kellybelly333 wrote:

I still dump...almost 4 years out. It's not a nice feeling, so for the most part I just leave the crap alone..but yep, it still happens (my biggest shock was a full on dump while eating a very ripe mango). I can't imagine that I won't not dump. And that's fine, my reminder not to do stupid things :-)

I hear you it`s like the good angel, bad angel on the shoulder and while there are some that don`t dump...I am glad that I do...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary

birdiegirl
on 1/7/15 6:12 am

Most muffins give me RH - but I still eat them on occassion...lol

Sometimes you just want it.....its tough to always say no to things....I will eat the occasional bagel with cream cheese - its such a treat and I enjoy every morsel of it.  

I had some harvest squash soup at Panera Bread last weekend - major RH about an hour later - and I know it was the soup. 

I sometimes dump if I drink water shortly after consuming something higher fat/sugar content.  I rarely drink less then 45 minutes post eating - but on the odd occasion I do and it gives me the heart palpatations quickly. 

I do make the same mistakes twice....I just usually take a little time before I do it again!

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/7/15 10:42 am - Windsor, Canada

Prior to Christmas I was personally responsible for the demise of a whole box of Turtles. While I can take them or leave them, they were frozen and oh so chewy.  

After that I got back on track and ended up wishing in the New Year with a loss.   It's never ending back to basics.  I don't dump and eating a few at a time,makes it a non issue.  

Onward and and upward for the new year. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Mary A.
on 1/7/15 9:47 pm

most of us have our vices....and it's not a bad thing is like you stated you get back to "basics".

Mary

alysan
on 1/7/15 6:59 pm - Canada

Good to know!!!

I have yet to dump but I don't usually go outside of the box.  Too afraid to.  I also don't vary from my usual recipes.  Once I maintain for a bit I might spruce things up and try to add a variety to my diet.

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Patm
on 1/7/15 9:45 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

This is very timely. I had a very bad night last night. I had bought some chips that tasted like gingerbread for company. I sat munching them last night. The rest of the bag went into the garbage this morning. And yes today I am feeling crappy and bloated

Most Active
Recent Topics