Marginal Ulcers....Very Scared!

hmtmomof4
on 4/7/15 4:19 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

hi Guys!

You may remember me when I posted a few weeks ago after having emergency surgery for an umbilical hernia and an internal hernia (Petersens Space Defect). I spent almost a week in hospital. 

I am doing much better but still in tremendous pain at times. I see the surgeon this week for a follow up but my family doctor thinks some internal stitches were made too tight and might need to be released...wonderful!! My entire left side of my abdomen is all caved in and pulled sooooo tight!  My family doctor fully admitted he had never seen anything like it. 

When I had my surgery they also did an endoscopy and found many marginal ulcers in my pouch and small bowel. All were bleeding fairly significantly and I just narrowly avoided a blood transfusion. I am on two meds now...Pantoprazole and Sucralfate until further notice ( will repeat the endoscopy next month). 

Has anyone else ever dealt with this. The thing that scares me is that I have no "risk factors" for developing these....absolutely NO drinking, smoking, anti inflammatories, citrus, caffeine, spicy foods etc. I never had heartburn or had a suspicion anything was wrong! I tolerate everything with no problems. 

The thing that scares me the most is these ulcers perforating and causing massive bleeding or the need to reverse my RNY altogether!! 

Just looking to connect with anyone else who has gone through this. It's scaring the crap out of me. Very eager to speak with my surgeon this week, but wanted to ask here as well. 

Thanks!

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

softballqueen89
on 4/7/15 4:31 am - Canada
VSG on 02/24/15

I don't have any experience with any of this, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are having to endure all of this, it sounds terrifying.

Stay strong, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Tracy :)

Referral: 08.13.14  Orient (TWH): 11.05.14  Social: 11.27.14  Nurse Prac: 12.10.14  Psych: 01.12.15 Nutrition Class: 11.18.14  Scope: 01.06.15  Dietician: 12.12.14  Meet Surgeon: 02.06.15  Pre-Op Testing: 02.18.15  SURGERY DATE: 02.24.15 (Dr. Okrainec)    

Mary A.
on 4/7/15 5:59 am

Oh wow, I had a stomach ulcer diagnosed in January 2014 and I am on the same medications as you, it has lessened the pain but for me it has not gone away completely.  When I saw my doctor last month he said in 3 months he will change my medicaitons as after 18months they don't seem to work as well as they did in the beginning.  My doctor has a stomach ulcer as well.

I hope your condition gets much better

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Zizzler
on 4/7/15 7:41 am

Sorry to hear that your problems are continuing. I hope you do not have to have the procedure reversed but if it is necessary what can you do?  Do citrus and spicy food really cause ulcers?  I eat both so just wondering if I'm putting myself at risk.  Please keep us posted with your progress, I hope you feel better soon.

Robyn R.
on 4/7/15 11:35 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I too have an ulcer at my anastamosis where they did my connection. I'm on Prevacid & finished a course of sulcrafate.  I see my surgeon the end of May. My symptoms are no better. He did mention a possible revision for me after 2 gastroscopies. 

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

NewMe2.0
on 4/8/15 1:34 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

I just went through something similar.  They found multiple ulcers at the junction where the new pouch meets the small intestine(?).

I just had a hysterectomy and the surgeon said it could be from the stress of that,  dehydration and nsaids (was given a 24hr course of them after my surgery).

I too am on sucralfate and prevacid, and have a repeat endoscopy sometime in the near future.

Nothing was ever mentioned to me about reversing the rny or other possible complications.  I just assumed the meds would do their job and it would be fine.  I went from not being able to swallow even a sip of water to being able to tolerate soft foods. 

Try not to stress.  Let us know what your surgeon says. 

Good luck.  I will be thinking of you,

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

hmtmomof4
on 4/8/15 12:42 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Thanks Guys! Heading in tomorrow for my checkup with the surgeon. Very eager to talk to him as I am in sooo much pain still....and my pain threshold is very high ( I birthed 16 pounds of twins naturally! Lol)

My abdomen looks so completely messed up! I seriously look like I have two belly buttons...that's how tight the internal stitches are pulled on that side. I cannot lie on either side at night I have to remain on my back....and several times a night I wake up with a searing pain under where the indent is. It feels like someone driving a hot knife into me. It's awful! Please pray that this will loosen very soon and that I don't need MORE surgery to fix it. I will keep you posted!! ...If I could figure out how to post a pic I would show you just how tight and weird it looks! Lol

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics