Voltaren Emulgel?

Dreamy74
on 4/7/15 2:30 am
RNY on 02/04/15

I used to take voltaren anti inflammatory tablets when I had sore knees.  It is an NSAID so it's a no-no after surgery.  But, has anyone tried the voltaren cream?  Is that safe for us RNY-ers?  My left knee is absolutely killing me.  I must have done something to it but what I don't know.  Tylenol is not touching the pain.  Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Dixie1969
on 4/7/15 4:07 am

I am through Guelph and was told "NO" to Emulgel. I have a bad back and was told to just take Tylenol.  I know that Tylenol doesn't always help. I found a ho****er bottle or applying heat provides some relief.

Mary A.
on 4/7/15 5:55 am

whatever you do Never apply a topical pain reliever and then put a heating pad on it for a long duration of time.  My mother had Voltaren on her shoulder and fell asleep for 4 hours and ended up with 2nd degree blisters and burns

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Karen M.
on 4/7/15 4:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

From all accounts, no. NSAIDS are absorbed into your system/blood stream with topical applications also. :/

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Herecomeshealth
on 4/7/15 8:27 am

I asked this very question of a NP a week or two ago at my clinic. She said the research is not clear on the absorption of the topical. She you have to decide if the pain justifies the risk of an ulcer. She also pointed out that there are stronger meds that you can take. I have no idea what you should do. I think I wouls discuss pain management options with my Dr. I am quite certain I have desire for an ulcer. I hope you pain resolves quickly.

highlandbear
on 4/7/15 9:24 am - Canada

I use the cream before a long run and after a long run. The clinic knows this and told me it is fine.

bonefish
on 4/7/15 11:18 am

Hamilton says no to cream.  It is systemic.

highlandbear
on 4/8/15 5:55 am - Canada

I had mine done in Hamilton and they are fine with me using it

bonefish
on 4/8/15 10:20 am

Hmmm, maybe they changed opinion since last time you asked? I am 100% certain they don't allow it now for RNY. 

Julie99
on 4/8/15 5:58 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I'm from Ottawa and they said a big no no

Referral: June 26, 2013  Confirmation: July 4, 2013  Orientation(OWMC) Sept.13, 2013  Nurse: Dec. 3, 2013  Nut/Beh: Jan. 28, 2014  Pre-surgical class: Feb. 26, 2014  Meet Surgeon: March 18, 2014  PAU: July 11, 2014  Surgery with Dr. Yelle: Aug. 11, 2014              

Most Active
Recent Topics