What I can't wait for!

hartless
on 4/14/15 3:32 pm - welland, Canada

On monday I got my Surgery date and was over the moon! I'm a 22 year old college student and I am 335 pounds at 5'3 I have been over weight my entire life and there are so many thing I just can not wait to do so I wanted to list them here to people who understand the struggle (only over weight person in my family and among my friends) I encourage others to add what they can't wait for!

Cute clothes!!!!!! = has to be number 1 on my list for years I have gone places with my sisters and friends that carried smaller sized clothes only and it is pretty upsetting to see all these cute MUCH CHEAPER clothes and not be able to get them

Confidence

no more nasty looks for being over weight

no seat belt issues!!!

High heels 

a love life :D 

shopping with my friends

running my first marathon

thats all for right now but I am sure I will think of many more!

After this long 2 year process I will have my surgery May 5th, can't wait to start this new journey, no fears just excitement! 

Karen M.
on 4/15/15 11:30 am, edited 4/15/15 11:32 am - Mississauga, Canada

You're 22! You lucky young thing - you have so much time to enjoy the benefits of good health. Congratulations on your surgery date - I can tell you're very excited! So was I and I remember the thrill of actually getting a date as it made it seem that much more real.

I like your list - you have some great motivators to keep you going. For me, my list consisted of pretty practical things - getting off blood pressure medication, being able to move without pain, avoiding the imminent diabetes diagnosis... mostly health related. But I did have what I call a "freakin-bonus-if-it-happens-list" that had things like be able to wear tall boots, cross my legs like a lady, wear cute clothes... the usual girl stuff.

Keep posting - we'd love to hear how you're doing and offer support or answer questions - we're here to help. :)

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

W8_No_More
on 4/15/15 1:20 pm - Kitchener, Canada

A lot of items on my list make it apparent that I'm more than twice your age...

-walking up a flight of stairs without fear that my knees will give out and without gasping for air

-walking even short distances without back pain

But there are other things that I'm already starting to check off the list...

-having the ability to trim and paint my toenails

-not worrying about having to sit in an arm chair at a meeting, theatre etc.

-being able to wear the really nice watch I was given with a band too short for my wrist

-having my wedding rings fit again (since I refused to get them made larger again)

-being able to confidently carry my granddaughter up the stairs

I could go on and on as I'm sure many of us can. It's all of these improvements that make 'quality of life' and for so long we haven't had much of that. We just need to keep remembering how wonderful all these things are and never take them for granted!

Congratulations on your surgery date and for doing this before you've let as many years as I did pass. My only regret is not doing this long ago!

Kim

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

Drvn2skcede
on 4/15/15 10:02 pm

Yes, walking up (and down) stairs again without hefting myself, holding my breath, puffing, praying my knees don't give out

Reduction in pain

improved hygiene (painting toenails, shaving 'those' regions etc)

being able to put my shoes on and tie them up without becoming a contortionist

cute clothes and just being able to shop in any store I want to again, particularly on the 'other' side of Reitmans :)

being able to take up sports and jogging and 5K's (to start)

sleeping better and sleeping with my husband again! (the snoring keeps us in separate beds)

And most of all, more energy to keep up with my daughter!

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Louisetucker
on 8/17/22 8:19 am

Hello my friend!
I'm going to have surgery soon and I would like details from you what and how it was, I already got the date when it will take place and I'm very afraid. How do you feel after several years? Is everything ok?

Janetlach
on 8/25/22 5:55 am, edited 8/29/22 9:36 pm

I hope all is well with you, I also had surgery not long ago and now I'm also a college student and it's quite hard, but with time I'm adjusting more and more. I hope that soon I can do everything a healthy person can do. Besides this I long had nothing to do and to not fall behind I found this source https://freebooksummary.com/category/king-leopolds-ghost from where I can listen to a lot of information in audio format, like popular books, King Leopolds Ghost, for the college this helps me a lot, because I won't fall behind with information and I will have a bigger knowledge base, I try to do as much as possible to not limit myself and stay as good.

Matthew_Hagan
on 10/31/22 8:34 am

The sedentary lifestyle of students does not lead to good. I myself know that sometimes I do not even leave the house when studying at a distance.

Matthew_Hagan
on 10/31/22 10:32 pm
On October 31, 2022 at 3:34 PM Pacific Time, Matthew_Hagan wrote:

The sedentary lifestyle of students does not lead to good. I myself know that sometimes I do not even leave the house when studying at a distance.

In general, some universities only worsen the conditions of study by creating obstacles and various barriers. Thus, in our college I sometimes noticed some prejudice against girls, prohibitions. This does not add comfort to learning, and gender equality is well written here: https://samploon.com/free-essays/gender-equality/ everything is about this topic and even more. I always feel embarrassed when I realize that we are treated differently. And in my student years, I spent a lot of time to do my homework and had to go to an Internet cafe instead of sitting at my campus.

Most Active
Recent Topics