The Last Straw

MeltingMindyLoo
on 6/4/15 1:12 pm - Sudbury, ON, Canada
RNY on 07/21/15

I've been told by my Bariatric Centre that following my roux en y I can never drink from a straw again.  As in never ever.  Fair enough, I can do that.  Of all the things that I am prepared to change in my life, no more straws doesn't even rate!  I've also seen other threads on these forums that other people have been told the same thing.  

I have a wls instagram account, and follow quite a few other people on their wls journeys.  There are SO many of them who seem to regularly post Starbucks selfies with that big green straw.  

Do straws affect different people differently?  I don't think I'll miss a straw.  I've already stopped using them.  But...are these folks doing damage to themselves? (I mean besides courting pre-mature mouth wrinkling!!!)

37yo, 5'8". HW: 396lbs, CW: 276.6

Roma
on 6/4/15 1:57 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

I've wondered that too! 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

margarita_mrs
on 6/4/15 2:30 pm

I have heard it may have to do with swallowing air as you drink?  I've never had an issue with swallowing air when using a straw and being so soon post-op, I'm not going to try it.  (And my standby was my venti Starbucks cup!)

Referral sent- June/July 2014  Orientation GGH- Aug. 28/14  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist- Sept. 18/15  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist Part 2- Nov. 18/15  Pre-surgery education class- Feb. 9/15  Meet surgeon - Mar. 23/15  Surgery date- May 29, 2015  A great day to start a new chapter in my life!

Nanato2
on 6/4/15 2:35 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

The reason we aren't allowed to use straws or chew gum, is that it causes air to enter our pouch. Doesn't seem detrimental... until you get the teeniest, most painful air bubbles in your pouch & have to wait for them to either come up or work their way down & out. Another reason is that the air takes up space in our pouch which we could be filling with protein, but we feel full, so we don't get that extra bit of protein. Even if your straw is in your cup & you have plenty of liquid as well, when you draw on that straw, before the liquid makes its way into your mouth, you'd think there's nothing in there, but that "nothing" is AIR.

Remember some people choose to do what they want not what the centre tells them they should be doing.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

TES
on 6/4/15 3:43 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hmm ... I drink from straws and chew gum ... I wasn't told otherwise.  I'm 11 months post-op and haven't had any issues with either.  However, you'd be best to follow the rules set out for you by your clinic!

TES

lammytee14
on 6/4/15 4:22 pm

I absentmindedly grabbed my water glass with straw and drank from it about 6 weeks post-op. I now know how a baby feels when they have a gas bubble trapped in their tummies. I didn't feel well for about 5 hours then I finally used a gas-x strip to help with the gas. The strip wasn't even dissolved and the air was released...along with the little bit of water that was on top of it. Instant relief.

I've moved on from my straw cup to a nice Contigo water bottle.

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

BUFFY M.
on 6/4/15 4:48 pm - Bobcaygeon, Canada
RNY on 11/23/15

Oh this is good to know. I thought we just couldn't use straws in the beginning after surgery.  

jaxie77
on 6/4/15 10:13 am, edited 6/4/15 10:14 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I was never told not to use a straw , or not to chew gum . I don't really chew gum now , never have been a big gum chewer,  but a straw I use all the time , in my big sippy cups for my water at night . Makes me feel like it's more of a novelty drink while I'm watching my movie or whatever ( tonight it's Jaws ! My fave😂) ....but yeah , never had an issue. I can understand the logic behind it with the extra air and all that , but honestly there are so many little things that we read and hear , but until you are actually living through it , just best to do what you feel is the right thing for you with the guidance of your Centre . 

Good luck x

Jax x 

HFA70
on 6/4/15 5:45 pm

I am 20 months out.  I use a straw on occassion,  no issues.  It took me a long time to try using one and I have always been fine. 

yvie73
on 6/5/15 6:36 am
RNY on 05/06/14

I am 12 months post op and I use a straw daily and chew gum.  I was told by my centre HRRH that chewing gum and using straws was completely off the table post surgery.  For the first few months post op my breath was absolutely horrendous.  I mean I could knock people out with a heavy sigh!  I had an important meeting to attend and knew despite having brushed my teeth and using mouth wash my breath was still atrocious.  I popped a piece of gum right before the meeting out of desperation and was quite happy to learn it didn't bother me in the least!  I do have to admit that it did give me gas and after my meeting I did have a burp fest in the privacy of my own car LOL  My body has since adjusted and there is now very little gas.  I use straws daily because I absolutely cannot tolerate the taste of the protein shakes and find drinking them through straws limits the taste.  Again absolutely no issues.  No pain, no gas.  I believe everyone's experience is different.

Most Active
Recent Topics