NSV

annieliv
on 6/13/15 7:44 pm - Toronto, Canada

I live in the city and use the TTC. I know all there is to know about the buses, streetcars, and subway in terms of which are the best seats to sit in, and where all the escalators are in the stations.

I am always very self conscious on public transit. If the subway starts to fill, I always get up as to not get stink eye from people for flowing over a bit into another seat.

Today, I walked through a turnstile at my station facing forward!  Yes, I made contact with both sides, but I didn't have to turn slightly sideways and give my self an extra push!  WOOHOO!

It's these small victories tat make me so very happy!

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Zizzler
on 6/14/15 5:16 am

Oh the joys of public transit eh?  That is a great nsv! 

One thing I noticed was that in the past I would usually get the seat all to myself due to my size people would pick all other seats first.  Now people do not hesitate to sit beside me, not sure I like that, it was nice to have the whole seat, but I do feel more normal and less stigmatized. Its something that always bothered me even though I was able to deal with it, it did feel hurtful sometimes, especially when I was already feeling down.  Actually, the other day I sat with someone who is very large and I realized why people often choose not to sit there, it is not as comfortable to have 1/2 a seat and I felt like I was squishing the larger person beside me!  It was an "aha" moment for me, seeing things from the other side and realizing the point of view of smaller folks.  I think if I ever were to become larger again, and I hope that this does not happen, I will have a new perspective on the subject and feel more understanding of smaller folks.

MeltingMindyLoo
on 6/14/15 6:50 am - Sudbury, ON, Canada
RNY on 07/21/15

That's an awesome nsv! I hadn't even considered how much easier public transit would be if I were smaller. This gets added to the list.

37yo, 5'8". HW: 396lbs, CW: 276.6

Patm
on 6/14/15 7:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I take TTC everyday and understand what a great NSV this is. Congratulations

Dreamy74
on 6/14/15 10:07 am
RNY on 02/04/15

YAY!  This is such a great NSV.  I am down 70 pounds so far and have too noticed what Zizzler mentioned - that people are more likely to sit beside me now.  Before my surgery I never used to sit down - I would stand the whole time on the subway so as not to get stares and sighs from people. 

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

tatirod
on 6/14/15 6:14 pm - Toronto, Canada

What an absolutely wonderful NSV! This is something I hadn't considered but will look forward to. I have this horrible image of getting stuck in the turny thing and the fire department coming to cut me out.i might get a day pass just so I can get on and off repeatedly when I shrink. 😄

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

crqvingchange
on 6/15/15 8:45 am

Such an amazing NSV.  And they just keep coming.  
Enjoy.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Mallory
on 6/15/15 4:36 pm - Toronto, Canada

Going through the turnstile without having to turn or push is an awesome NSV!!!  The non-stinkeye is a bonus!

~ Harshing On Grooves Since 1967

~ Acting My Shoe Size Since 1984

Most Active
Recent Topics