OHIP panniculectomy - COMPLETE

Kristina1987
on 6/22/15 10:16 am - Canada

Wahooooooooooooo!!!

June 17 I had a panniculectomy covered by OHIP in Pembroke Ontario... and I am THRILLED with the results thus far without even seeing my abdomen yet! My surgeon was amazing, and the surgical team AWESOME!

Everyone I have spoke with on this site and else where have nothing overly great to say about panniculectomy covered by ohip but like car shopping.... ya gotta keep options open and shop, shop, shop around! So yep... Panniculectomy, but also had my umbilicus repaired and mons pubis lifted... yep for once in my life I can sit and look down and see my vagina... I am THRILLED!!!

I have not yet seen my abdomen for drains and bandages but... I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!

Patm
on 6/22/15 10:48 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congratulations. Hope you heal fast

Susan40
on 6/22/15 1:10 pm - Canada

Congrat!!! May I ask you the process? 

How long after your bypass?

what is the process? 

Did your family Dr refer you or did you do it yourself? 

Does OHIP cover everything? Since you had some extra things done was there a fee? 

What's the recovery pain like? 

Thanks 😀

susan

Kristina1987
on 6/22/15 9:15 pm, edited 6/22/15 9:18 pm - Canada

Hello Susan!

The Process:
I looked online for general surgeons that completed the procedure had my family doctor refer me for consultations with a couple. However, when I had my consultation with the first they sent my application to OHIP as once you're approved your approval is transferable. The doctor that nailed the procedure was when I asked "Will I be leaving here looking like ground beef like most OHIP panniculectomys?" We both had a good laugh and she explained everything she would do and I was SOLD.

Once your application is in it can take anywhere from 2weeks to 6months to hear back from OHIP they kind of work at their own pace. Your approval is good for one calendar year once approved. NOTE: apparently this is becoming a harder procedure to get covered because of popularity and how much money OHIP is spending on it. BUT talk is cheap *****ally knows, its worth a try.

I had my GBS July 2011, and have maintained my weight for the last 3 years.

EVERYTHING was covered by OHIP except my compression binder which was $40.00 and I don't have prescription coverage but prescription was $18.00.

Recovery pain.... miniscule. I was prescribed dilaudid and only took it in the hospital the first night to hopefully allow me some sleep, and before my two hour trek home. Aside from that I have had two extra strength Tylenol every 6 hours for the first 4 days and now twice a day, three times if need be for swelling. Definitely manage able, I felt more stiff then anything, and there is a HUGE difference in how you feel day to day.

Anymore questions I will for sure answer... once I get more photos I will share them I am still all bandaged up until tomorrow to get drains removed and such :)

Hope this helps.

Susan40
on 6/23/15 5:27 am - Canada

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain!!  This is very helpful. I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks so much 😀

Kristina1987
on 6/23/15 7:18 am - Canada

No problem! 

Thank you!

Carebear02
on 7/8/15 3:54 pm - Vars, Canada

Hi, that is wonderful news!  Congrats on the new you.  May I ask how long it took for you to find out whether or not OHIP would cover it?  I saw the plastic surgeon today and he is submitting my request to OHIP.  Also, how long after you received the news of coverage, did you receive your surgery?

Thanks for your time.

karen

Referral:  July 22, 2013, Confirmation:  TBD

Kristina1987
on 8/11/15 4:09 pm - Canada

took two months to get my approval but I almost waited a full year for surgery because I am in school and didn't want to interrupt my studies. Depends on the surgeon on surgery time and ohip works at their own pace I was told could be a week to 6months depends on how quickly they want to work haha.

22sharma1988
on 7/5/18 2:15 pm

Can I ask who ur surgeon was please

This G.
on 6/22/15 5:57 pm - Canada

congrats, that is fantastic! 

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics